Oil Dispenser Inside Happy Time Tank?

5-7HEAVEN

I've been filling my four-liter Happy Time fuel tank at the gas station. Pour two quarts fuel in, pour oil, then fill up with gas. Sometimes, I need three hands to do this, and always worry about spilling oil or overfilling.

I'm thinking of devising a measured container below the neck of the fuel tank. That way, I can just pour the oil into the tank without pre-measuring. Then the gas pouring into that measured oil container will ensure a very good oil/fuel mix. I always worry about a poor mix. On my first attempt to fill my tank. I forgot to shut the petcock and poured the oil in first. The oil flowed directly into the large FRAM automobile-type fuel filter. When I started the engine, it fouled and died within seconds. To resolve the issue, I had to plug the gas cap and turn the bike upside-down. This allowed the oil to flow back into the petcock and tank. After closing the valve, I flipped the bike over and stirred the fuel mixture with a pair of chopsticks. Minutes later, the bike's engine cleared up and I rode home. Since the oil/fuel mix was probably way off, I drained the gas and mixed another tankful.

So, to keep this from happening again, I'd like to have a 1.875 ounce cup below the tank's neck. I've noticed that it's too messy to fill four quarts into the fuel tank, so I'll pump in three quarts instead. That 1.875 ounce receptacle is perfect for 50:1 oil/fuel mix. When running an engine using a 25:1 mixture, I simply fill the oil cup twice. If situated directly under the gas cap, oil/fuel mix will be excellent. Besides, the cup will also keep gas from sloshing out the gas cap's vent(I've also been having slosh problems).:geek:

Anyone ever thought of installing a measured oil cap in their fuel tank?

Thoughts?

Two reasons why I want an oil dispenser in the tank:

First, I need three hands and a leg to brace my bike, pump the nozzle and pour the oil intermittently into the tank.

Second, syringes are messy, especially after use. I reuse the 2.56 oz. oil container, but I need to dig it outa my backpack. I always worry about spilling/overflowing gas and tipping the bike over, while monitoring the gas pump and small HT tank. I also worry about the plastic oil container breaking inside the backpack, contaminating everything.

What I envision is a small built-in container, or one mounted externally with a screw-on cap and a petcock. It could be filled a few days before. When fillup time arrives, simply lift gas cap, insert pump nozzle, turn on petcock. When finished, shut petcock, replace cap. Refill oil dispenser anytime before the next fillup.

Thoughts?

Get a side stand?

I find its a big drama trying to do the oil mixing at the station.

Unless you are on a long road trip when there is no other option.

I use a rear rack and a 5 gallon container to bring the fuel home so I can mix the oil properly.

Premix should be well shaken or stirred.

Pouring the fuel and oil together without shaking or stirring will result in a poor mix.

Yes, I hear you about the bad premix. Shaken well or stirred makes good mixture.

A small cup placed inside a funnel might work well enough to mix.

A small container placed inside the fuel tank might also work well enough to mix too.

I take a medicine bottle, with a screw on lid. I mark the bottle in 2oz increments and carry it with me as needed. If I had to use two hands then I'd open the bottle and sit it on the pump. Fill the tank while pouring the needed amount of oil.

Yes, I do that at the pump too.
I'm trying to get away from handling the oil in one hand and the nozzle in the other. What I'm envisioning is a small metal vial riveted onto the top of the HT tank. This vial has a petcock and holds up to 3 oz. While filling gas, the valve is opened and drips oil into the gas as it's pumped into the tank.

Or maybe a small funnel with a vial or pocket filled with oil. At the pump, the funnel is placed in the tank. The incoming gas mixes with the oil in the funnel and flows down into the tank. The funnel gets placed onto the bike's rear rack on the day the MB gets filled with gas.

my method is i carry a plastic drink bottle with me that i have marked "fuel line" and "oil line" which i have messured and marked very accurately. i fill it with gas to the fuel line, and then oil to the oil line. i shake it up good and then dump it in.... (i buy the small bottles of oil. i think they are something like 2-3 oz) so all you have to have is a little bottle of oil, and an empty pre marked clear plactic bottle... seems to work ok for me.

you have a good idea. but to me it just seems more work than is needed. and it seems it would be hard to get an accurate mix. how would you messure the ammount of oil you were mixing in?

The oil dispenser would be filled by a syringe measured to mix with quarts. Three syringes full is enough for three quarts and no overspill.

Seems like a lot of work to devise such a dispenser. It's mostly internet research. There is more than likely such a container being used for another purpose. All I have to do is find it.

A small hole will be made atop the tank. The dispenser is controlled by a petcock, which regulates the oil dripping into the fuel gushing into the tank. :unsure:

Hey, my bike's working like a charm. I'm simply personalizing it and making it easier for me to operate.:devilish:

Back