oldie but newbie

macquest

Local time
10:39 PM
Hi folks, from Illinois here. I just discovered the existence of this site a week or so ago, and now that I have and have read as much as I can on a 4.3 inch screen I'm determined to buy, build and have my own motorized bike. For the last month I've been riding as much as possible on my 29" mtn bike (mongoose/walmart) but there are a lot of hills and grades here and I want to br able to go further and faster than my age and health allows currently.
Anyway I'm going to read and learn all I can and hopefully get advice from you experienced members on what bike style, motor and drive would be best for me. Following are a few questions and thoughts I have so far on what I'm leaning towards.

My stats etc.
I'm 41, about 230 lbs. (Trying to lose about 50, hard work at my age even with a physical job. I'm a carpenter) I've ridden about 50 miles the last 2 months, riding more everyday. Once I get a motored bike I plan to ride 10-20 per day (work commute etc) plus occasional longer trips on weekends.

So far what I'm thinking about is a cruiser type bike, frame mounted motor with nuvinci hub and the SBP freewheel jackshaft power system (I hope thats what I mean. Also im sort of set on a 4-stroke motor, maybe the Honda gx35 or similar. I want something powerful and durable yet very quiet. Also I'd like to have it legal, so as I'm in Illinois I think it would have to have top speed of 20 mph.

Anyway thanks to you all that read this and especially for any knowledgeable input. I want to build/buy as soon as I can decide what is the best setup for me.

Safety, comfort, power.
If I had a "do over", that's what I'd do.
To use a shift kit, you need a frame that comes with multi-speed, measuring at least 130mm (5.12") width @ the rear axle.
I recommend a suspension fork to smooth the bumpy roads, and a 203mm disc brake.
I'd also recommend a rear 203mm disc brake too. If your frame doesn't have the mounts, adaptors are available to retrofit the disc brake.
When it's time for new tires, consider Schwalbe 2.35 x 28 Big Apples.

I have a 29er project w/NuVinci hub and Schwalbes tires, unfinished.

The easiest way to mount the Honda would be the obsolete Scooterguy midframe mount.
DAX also advertised his centerframe mount. Contact him @thatsdax.com.
In so many words, the engine bolts to a 5:1 pocket bike transmission. That is bolted to the centerframe mount.
An 11-tooth or other sprocket slips onto the tranny, then chained to a 72t or other chainring.
An inner 24t or other chainring sprocket then connects to the rear hub.
If you use the DAX or Scooterguy mount, you do not need the wide 206mm SBP bottom bracket,
The engine does not stick out far right. You WILL need SBP or DAX's crank arms and 5-hole freewheel and inner and outer chainring sprockets.

Hi Marc, before you do anything, find out what the laws are (dmv website).
I am sure you will be going over 20 mph. Look and be safe.
Helmet, gloves ,glasses / safety vest helps too.

One suggestion- think about a full suspension bike (has to have an open type frame) because the comfort difference is striking.

I am using an old Sturmey archer 3 speed hub as a jackshaft, putting up to about 9 hp into it with no issues. I am sure one would be fine in the back wheel.
There have been problems (from reports here) with the first Nuvinci units- don't know how the newer ones hold up.
And welcome to Motoredbikes!

Here is a good set up you can use with a shiftkit for your cruiser build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnxU4SlDQso&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I got into motorized bikes because I live in Tennessee where's there's lots of steep hills. I also have heart problems. My state has an automatic transmission requirement. So I built a 5 speed autoshifting bike. Here is my bike. It's the only in the world that's shifts 5 gears automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDGIIdn--s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I like the 49cc HS 4-stroke with 4G belt drive transfer case HERE for $350, with 5 builds a couple running over 2 years never had an issue with either part as the HS is like 99% knock off of the Honda 50.

I do not care for the kits solid shaft bottom bracket or cheap cranks arms but if you are going jackshaft the bike it don't matter as the kit has a much better bottom plate and bottom bracket parts.

I like the SickBikeParts shift kit HERE for $280.

The left over parts will be the 4-stroke kits bottom plate and mounting hardware, bottom bracket, crank arms and sprockets, chain and rear sprocket and it's mounting hardware. In short with an SBP kit all you needs is the engine, transfer case, gas tank and throttle.
I have looked at buying just those 4 items and it came out like only $25 less is all so I don't mess with trying to piecemeal it.

Obviously the bicycle is the most important thing, especially with the extra weight and size of a 4-stroke and the flat platform the motor mounts to from the bottom.

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a steel beach cruiser with maybe a 6 or 7 speed derailleur as it will come with dual V brakes and do not, do NOT shop at Walleyworld or buy a Huffy, a $100 bike just won't cut it.

My personal favorite is a Pantera 7SP for about $230, it doesn't have a front shock but you can put one on, it has a nice cavity, good steel, and dual V's.

Though the 7-speed works just dandy I find using a derailleur is all but ideal as the chain is so thin and it takes a lot of abuse changing sprockets under so opt to exchange the whole back wheel, derailleur, and shifter for a 3-speed internal hub wheel and shifter, my bike shop charges me like $50 for the exchange.

4-stroke work best at around 5500-6K RPMs, the power sweet spot as it were and 3 gears make it easy to keep the R's there as the power bad is so wide.

You can try a Nuvinci but after 6 I had a 50% failure rate and quit using them and never had a 3-speed fail, or just run 7-speed awhile and see if you like it or until it fails then switch as with a shift kit the front sprocket placement does not change so you can put whatever back wheel you want on it.

Resist the temptation to buy a 3-speed beach cruiser although it sounds ideal, they only have a coaster brake and it is rendered useless with a shift kit as your pedals won't back pedal, they freewheel and the bikes have no brake bosses for anything.

Dual V's work great and new 3-speed back wheel is less than trying to mount discs to bike that does not support them.

One other option of course is get a suspension front fork with disc and/or V brake bosses and then just put a C brake for the back wheel, the cost with can vary so do the math.

The red bike pictured is what is mentioned above and was a great ride, all those HS engines pretty much start on the 1st or 2nd pull and pretty mindless to maintain, just change the motor oil after a couple hours, again at 10, and then 50 hours after that and they will run forever ;-}

Also pictured in the Silver Electra, a beautiful build but the aluminum drop-outs simply did not want to keep the back right dropout mount in place, the separated axle washers to hold it in place just scared the dropout and kept moving forward with the torque until a shored it up with a couple of bolts and nut in front of the axle nut, hence why I recommend a good steel frame.

I hope that helps you decide.

Attachments

• BigRed.jpg
    BigRed.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 211
  • 4sElectra.jpg
    4sElectra.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 218
Just a note, those are 2 pic (left and right) animated .gifs and not working uploaded here. I have no idea why and would have just linked the images from server but I am having issue again today, seems most of Norways fiber network is down. When it is up you van see them here for the business side of the JS.

http://KCsBikes.com/Bpics/BigRedDone.gif

http://KCsBikes.com/Bpics/ 4Selectra.gif

Back