Votes: 52 65.0%
  • No... I can't get up to that speed

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • No I would poop myself at that speed

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Motorbikes can get up to 40mph?

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters
My bike a six speed with HT 48cc tuned exhaust SBP shift kit, Just made 41.7 on a slight down hill run . 100miles on engine slant head iron sleeve . also in fourth gear so hopefully as it breaks in more it will be better . I have a disk brake that i will be installing. will try to get pics up tommorrow. I have been smiling all day.

Update

Got the Flying Squirrel out yesterday and with a tailwind got 40mph on flat and level and 47.4 on on long down hill run. It just gets better and better.:D anybody out there in central Oklahoma want to visit? and ride.

Ran out of gas near my dad's house. I put in some gas that was meant for his weedeater, and it must have had a leaner mixture than what I have been using. My bike had a bit more pep and I hit 40 mph on a slight downhill and was cruising at 32 on the flats. Gotta get rid of the gas though, it made the engine sputter...

40 mph club

Just wanted to say that as much as i like seeing what the Flying Squirrel will do I am very selective where i speed test it. It has to be a good road and with nobody else on it at the time i make my run.
I didnt think it was possible to get that much out of these little HT engines, but my brother who is a motorcycle mechanic has helped me a lot, gave good advise and the tuned pipe that i use,that is the biggest help to power.
I think the best thing about having the the power is not the high speed but the ability to keep up with traffic in town. I feel safer not being passed all the time.
what do you think?:helmet:
Also just uploaded my pics in gallery, The SPB shift kit was rebuilt using alumnium plate and line bored after the plates were installed. It is stiff and true now.:D

I ride my other bicycles, which is a pedal only full suspension mountain bike, for fitness. EVERYONE passes me. It doesn't bother me since if they pass, they are not next to me or behind me. It is much safer that way.

I save the keeping up with cars and running away from them for my motorcycle. :D

My bike "The Iron Dragon" reaches 40mph and wants to accelerate faster. Since it's a new build, still trying to sort things out.

i hit about 40kph on the engine alone but when i come down sydinham hill i usualy ride the breaks, well one day i decided to let it go, i hit **** near 90kph!!!! at that speed though i am very scared because if my clutch were to engage i would be going down, also the last half of the hill is a tight left turn, i am afraid to lay it down on the corners because if the back tire went flat i would be going down, aswell as the fact i only have front breaks and after the turn is a stop sign, i did it once but i will never go that fast again on my bike,

Just wanted to say that as much as i like seeing what the Flying Squirrel will do I am very selective where i speed test it. It has to be a good road and with nobody else on it at the time i make my run.
I didnt think it was possible to get that much out of these little HT engines, but my brother who is a motorcycle mechanic has helped me a lot, gave good advise and the tuned pipe that i use,that is the biggest help to power.
I think the best thing about having the the power is not the high speed but the ability to keep up with traffic in town. I feel safer not being passed all the time.
what do you think?:helmet:
Also just uploaded my pics in gallery, The SPB shift kit was rebuilt using alumnium plate and line bored after the plates were installed. It is stiff and true now.:D

I agree 100%. If you can keep the cars in the rearview, it'll be safer all around! Sounds like a nice build, will check your pics!

rearview

Ed,
Thanks for the comment, I always like it when someone agrees with me.
I have followed your comments and builds with interest. Your pics are great also the utube videos, Thanks for sharing.:cool:
I just got back from visiting my daughter in OKC 52 miles one way. Had a flat but was prepared fixed it and went on. Need a better seat!!!! when they were no shoulders on road especially in the city just went with the traffic. had the thumbs up and questions from motorists , How fast does it go? what kind of mileage does it get? where did you get that? Passed cops and was passed by them no notice taken. So all in all a good first road trip. I have over 900 miles on it this summer.:helmet:
averaged about 30 mph for the 104 miles so I am still smilling.:D

what do you think?:helmet: :

This is the reason I build high-powered MB'S.

It is TOTALLY unsafe pedalling a bicycle in Hawaii ORRR riding a slow MB.:geek:

By slow, I mean anything unable to keep up with road traffic.

With enough power to reach the speed limit or faster, riding a FAST(not just any) motorized bicycle is relatively safer than pedalling.

I'm riding curb lane on a slight incline with heavy headwind and crosswinds, going 36mph. There's a freeway onramp coming up on the right. The car behind me pulls into the fast lane to overtake me. Realizing he's unable to do so in time, he pulls back....and enters the freeway.

There must have been THREE heads sticking out the window as they gazed in astonishment of NOT being able to overtake a bike. :whistle:

Back