Performance 80cc

I don't want to be negative but there are just some things that will not work. Simple laws of physics prevent you from ramming air into the engine through the carb. These carbs all need vacuum to draw fuel up through the metering jets. If you have enough pressure you will shut off the fuel flow from the carb. With a scoop on the air cleaner you probably won't get enough air to shut off the fuel but you will lean out the mixture. This will give a small performance boost but at a cost. (lean=heat) Heat will kill these engines real fast. Another problem with the turbo that I see is with a 2-stroke engine you do not have a pressurized oiling system. Without oil flow through the turbo, it will fail almost immediately. But hey, best of luck with your project. I would love to be proven wrong.

Jim

Excellent Jim. The vacuum problem can be solved by enclosing the entire carb in a pressure box (typical of a blow through turbo carb system) with all the accompaning problems of throttle and choke controls, but the oiling is a bag of snakes. I have run a lazy turbo (oversized turbo on an engine that doesn't develop the volumetric efficiency to spool it up to max) on a gravity system with a container of oil above the turbo bearing, but the oil still has to go somewhere. It could be run into a catch can and emptied every couple of miles, or just use a total loss system and dump it on the ground, but the EPA might object to that. An oil pump could be run off the engine, but the parasitic load could be substantial enough to give a net loss. Also, the oil would require cooling and filtration unless the reservoir was quite large.

I would have injected my 2 cents earlier, but I had to give the pressurized crankcase some thought. Other than a Detroit diesel, I have never dealt with supercharging a 2 stroke. Spose the entire engine could be enclosed in a pressure box to prevent blowing seals etc, but that could get complicated too. Don't know what would happen. Thanks guys...just what I need, another engineering problem to tax my already feeble brain.

Guess, my opinion would be that it is doable, but with all the parasitic load, extra weight, and added complication, it might not be worth it.

If anyone tries this, I would be interested in the results.

I'm in contact with the seller of the turbo, trying to work out a price. Im building the bike to auction off for the Children Burn Hospital. As soon as I get the right price, its going on the bike and it will work, hahaha.
For the oil, I'm working on that now, R/C parts come in handy. But, I have to get the turbo first.

hi guys, im nowhere near an expert on this but if you got one of them small electric "turbochargers meant for small motorcycles,and put it on the engine, it might not provide enough boost to actually do anything ( assuming it will on the little beasts) but it might create enough pressure to act like a reed valve, you know like almost the smae way as a boost bottle works but instead it just stops all that wasted fuel from being blown back out the carb. i will stop ranting now but i just wanted to get that out
goodluck guys!!!

The Truth

Truth is, that bike is ugly. But I like where you are headed with it. Post pictures when youre done. :devilish:

Turbocharging a 2 stroke crankcase-scavenged engine is possible (snowmobilers do it all the time with great success) but without reed valves on the intake it won't work. Along with the prohibitive cost, extra weight (that tiny turbo probably weighs almost as much as the engine you'd be putting it on, cast iron is heavy!), additional complexity of exhaust and intake plumbing AND lubrication problems, I'd scrap that concept altogether. Your 2 stroke will make more (reliable) power with a good expansion chamber, some port matching, intake reeds and a good carb. Also, minor correction though it may be, your "80cc" engine is not truly 80cc's, its actual displacement is closer to 66cc's. It's an important distinction to make, since installing an expansion chamber sized & tuned for an 80cc on your 66cc engine would produce a head-scratching LOSS of power, quite the opposite effect an expansion chamber is supposed to have!

Instead of focusing on nitrous fog & turbocharging to make power, find some used exhaust and intake parts from a Kawasaki KX65 dirtbike on eBay or through your local motorcycle dealership and/or wrecker. The difficult engineering & tuning work has already been done, you can essentially bolt on the parts & go! I'm exaggerating, there will be some finicky fabrication work involved, but my point is that when you're finished you'll have a good running 2 stroke instead of a complete waste-of-money-headache-that-doesn't-work-and-looks-like-a-pile-of-garbage, which is GUARANTEED what you'll have if you try to fit that turbo ;)

My 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

I love all the feedback that I'm getting on this build. Everything that is posted is read and thought about. I really don't know how far I want to go with it.
Right now I'm trying to find the rims I want for it, without them, I really cant progress on the build.
Working or not, the "turbo" will be mounted. I spent 5hrs on the phone and sold my soul to the guy, to get it for $175. So I kinda commented to using it. :cry:
Truth is, that bike is ugly. But I like where you are headed with it. Post pictures when your done.
slimshady(I know who you are,Eminem), thats what they said to Carol Shelby. :D:D:D:D:D
This is what the frame will look like;

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Ok, the Christmas thing is over. Well the kids are playing games, wife is reading her Nook, so I did inventory. I have everything but the rims(hint hint, anybody?).
You all have to check out my sifter knob;

Attachments

• DSCF1002.jpg
    DSCF1002.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCF1003.jpg
    DSCF1003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF1004.jpg
    DSCF1004.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 229
Tried to order my rims today, on back order and wont be in till Feb.. Man this really sucks! Sent the top trip tree to the machine shop to fit the handle bars, not getting that back till next week. trying to get this done by the 9th of Feb., so I can enter it with my other bike @ the car show. Doesn't look like Im going to make the dead line.
I have 3 other bikes I guess I could work on but it takes from the motored bike funds. What to do????

Back