Please, splain cam timing to me.

Hi August, Just a thought.

What if you were to paint the cylinder black [use hi temp cylinder paint], place the cylinder in a pre heated oven at 325/350 degrees for 2 hours [you know to bake the paint on], turn off oven let everything cool normally to room temp.

Wonder if it will help? Sure won't hurt. Sometimes it works.

Have fun,

Hi August,

I need to give you a little more information. I remove the valves, springs,"C" clips, and washers from the cylinder before "baking" the cylinder. The reason I do this is because I don't want the heads of the valves applying pressure against anything touching the aluminum.

On the late 2007 and 2008 cylinders I had problems with the threads becoming brittle, not soft, and the threads would shear. Usually when the threads are soft they strip or round off and some threads will stick to the bolt. In this case the entire set of threads pull out of the cylinder, and leaves a hole that looks like it was made with a reamer. When I tried to fix the threads by using HeliCoils it failed to work and the HeliCoils started to pull out. After I thought about it a while it occured to me that the HeliCoils were also dependent on threads.

When I discovered this problem I contacted Whizzer and eventually returned all of the cylinders and installed the rare early NE cylinder and the problems went away.

Although many times the heat treatment works, it seems to work better on new cylinders as opposed to cylinders with longer run times.

Have fun,

Back