Pollution from a HT Engine

v6 with snap your neck torque? lol!
have you ever driven a pre smog era v8?...

I've owned more "pre smog era V8's" than you are years old, a lot of them before you were even born. :rolleyes: You see, when I was your age, "pre-smog V8" equipped cars were just cheap old used cars. :p My old 68 Dodge Dart (pre smog era) equipped with a 273 engine (V8) and Torqueflite transmission would get EATEN ALIVE by my 88 Chevy Corsica with a 2.8L V6. And the Chevy got better gas mileage too. There were many more mundane 2bbl V8's roaming the streets than there were "fire breathing" 4bbl high compression, solid lifter, big block engines that everyone loves to reminisce about. ;)

"all those cows farting cant be good either so no more steaks or burgers ok." It would seem that Australia has the solution, 'Eat kangaroo to save the planet' http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7551125.stm

I think I have a solution better than eating "roos" - farmers should start adding quantities of "Beano" to the food of cows, sheep, and pigs

Beano is a natural food enzyme dietary supplement that can help prevent gas before it starts. It helps you to digest the complex carbohydrates in your favorite healthy foods. By taking Beano at the beginning of a meal, you can help prevent gas, bloating and other discomfort

You can thank me later for saving the planet from flatulence.

All this rests on whether you believe Uncle Al and his doomsday predictions.

I think it is a load of ............... flatulence. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised that with all this talk of comparing 2 stroke motors to 4 stroke motors not a single person has mentioned the Wankel rotary motor. I think technically its a 4-stroke but considering how there are no I/E valves, just ports, they tend to run a lot like 2-strokes (and burn oil like them too). They're technically a 1.3L motor but due to the motor setup they put out power like a 2.6L V6.

I know that emissions were a big reason why the RX-7 was pulled from the American market in the late 90s but I wonder what else Mazda has done to the Renesis in the RX-8s when compared to the old 13B in the classic 7s.

"Here is the underlying reality: A nation (USA) that uses one-quarter of the world’s oil while possessing less than 3 percent of its reserves cannot drill its way to happiness at the pump, much less self-sufficiency. The only plausible strategy is to cut consumption while embarking on a serious program of alternative fuels and energy sources." http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/opinion/10sun1.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

I'm surprised that with all this talk of comparing 2 stroke motors to 4 stroke motors not a single person has mentioned the Wankel rotary motor. I think technically its a 4-stroke but considering how there are no I/E valves, just ports, they tend to run a lot like 2-strokes (and burn oil like them too). They're technically a 1.3L motor but due to the motor setup they put out power like a 2.6L V6.

I know that emissions were a big reason why the RX-7 was pulled from the American market in the late 90s but I wonder what else Mazda has done to the Renesis in the RX-8s when compared to the old 13B in the classic 7s.

Ive done quite a bit of work on rotarys. Their biggest disadvantage would be their fuel economy. The RX8's get 16/22....... AWFUL.

the 2003 Mazda RX-8, is an evolution of the previous 13B. It was designed to reduce exhaust emission and improve fuel economy, which were two of the most recurrent drawbacks of rotary engines. Unlike its predecessors from the 13B range, it is naturally aspirated, leading to lower power from its two versions (Mazda RX-7's twin-turbocharged 13B-REW (280hp).

The engine entailed two major changes. First, the exhausts ports are no longer peripheral but are located on the side of the housing, which allowed engineers to eliminate overlap and redesign the intake port area. This produced noticeably more power, thanks to a better compression ratio. Second, the rotors are shaped differently, especially their side seals and low-height apex seals, which offer optimized lubrication.

These and other innovative technologies allow the Renesis to achieve 49% higher output and dramatically reduced fuel consumption and emissions

As they say "reduced fuel consumption" the RX8s with the 13B-MSP Renesis gets a lousy 16 mpg in the city.

A better use for a rotary would be in a application where size and weight are issues ( like a motored bike !!! ) Id love to see it in a bike but Mazda is the only one producing the engines and they are EXPENSIVE. I love the rotary but I doubt mazda will make a mini version that could be used for small engines due to demand and the thirst for fuel that every rotary has exhibited. The motor is bullet proof - can rev to 10,000 rpm without coming apart and is the lightest weight to torque motor made. They also have such close tolerances that rebuilding is most of the time impossible unless you have $$$$$ worth of machines dedicated to the rotary for the machining.

As a side note the current production engines can also run on hydrogen.

"Here is the underlying reality: A nation (USA) that uses one-quarter of the world's oil while possessing less than 3 percent of its reserves cannot drill its way to happiness at the pump, much less self-sufficiency. The only plausible strategy is to cut consumption while embarking on a serious program of alternative fuels and energy sources." http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/opinion/10sun1.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Wow that is funny a person from China would advise the US in self-sufficiency. Are you really saying that the current global oil crisis has nothing to do with China also?

China's oil imports doubled over the past five years and surged nearly 40% in the first half of 2004 alone. These increases vaulted the mainland ahead of Japan and into second place among the world's biggest oil consumers, behind only the U.S.

China accounted for about one-third of the increase in world oil consumption this year, more than any other single nation. Their leaders are forced to seek ever-greater supplies of petroleum from overseas. More than half of China's oil imports currently come from the volatile Middle East.

I predict in a VERY short time China will become the #1 consumer of oil in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quoting the New York Times automatically makes the reference as invalid since the NYT is dangerously biased toward a political direction.

The only solution is expanded drilling for oil (increase supply to meet demand..its common sense folks) while exploring alternative energy.

Unfortunately, energy in any form requires exploitation of the environment and GREENIES have nothing better to do than thwart every reasonable attempt in acquiring alternative energy:

Example: Oil from shale rock. Lawsuits and political pandering have left this as an unexecuted option.

Example: Coal: We got so much coal in this country and don't use as much as we need to. Coal to liquid gas (gasoline and diesel) is an alternative process that is available but needs to be pursued more aggressively.

Example: Nuclear power: No CO2 emissions, very little waste that can safely be stored in Yucca Mountain, excellent safety record in the USA. Greenies have fought Yucca mountain for years with lawsuits as a result, nuclear wastes sits out in the open in temporary storage sites adjacent to nuke power plants. A very dangerous situation since it can easily be taken by terrorists if they wanted to. consolidating nuke waste in one site is not only smart but safe. Also, greenies have lawsuited the construction of new nuke plants. We need more nuke power ASAP. We are slowly becoming a 3rd world country with intermittent blackouts in certain states whenever it warms up and people run their A/C.

Alternative energy? Guys, devising a new way to power cars isn't going to occur overnight. You greenies are asking for new energy source that hasn't been conceived of yet. Sure, we need to do more research in this area but expecting it occcur NOW while NOT drilling for more oil and using coal/shale is just STUPID.

Windpower: Can't blow windmills out of our energy crisis either. I love greenies such as members of the Kennedy clan who are PRO WINDPOWER except when windmills are proposed to be built in view of their million dollar beachhouess in Nantucket and Cape Code. its ok for you and I to have these eyesores in our backyards but not in theres. hypocrites.

I'm done.

Rotaries are great engines but because of their greater combustion surface area for a given engine displacement they reject more heat and are inherently fuel inefficient. They are more of a novelty in autos but a great engine for home built airplanes. I intend to build an airplane one day with a 13B. I can't wait!

Last edited:
Back