problems of a throttle and others

something is again amiss(no pun)

after getting the bike to run some with the throttle working now(still no kill switch)

now it runs ok, not smoothly but every now and then it misfires, or backfires i guess. but I see a puff of smoke and I swear it comes out of the engine head. I read about not having tighten heads. I know it will not do over about 7 mph. i figured maybe it is not tightend down. i thoguth i i did but who knows. I am goign out to try to tighten it down some (not too much from what I understand)

any other ideas if that turns out to not be it

I believe

I have fixed the problems.

i got some gasket material and started to replace the gaskets. I found out the top head gasket is metal, but didnt check the bottom one. as I found out that there was NO intake carb gasket at all. This could have been the misfiring and cloud I kept seeing from that area. I also changed the plug from the OEM to an autolite 425 (as no NKG was available) and tightened down the head, I found the back a bit loose.

So now, it is a bit "Chuggy" when it starts but once it turns over and I can adjust the carb to full open, then it seems to work as it should

I found out that when i took the plug out it was black meaning it was running rich so i adjusted the c carb needle pin(not sure if that was the name) and it runs better now.

this was major as when i change the plug I have to take the whole engine loose as there is about 1/8 inch clearance between the plug and the top bar. I did adjust it a bit so it cants to the left a bit more and I can change it easier...still I am worried how the chain sits. it was already loose on the bike. I will work on something better for that. still have to put the chain guard back on there now.

any final thoughts on what I could do more to improve? i am on my second tank of gas now. i guess it is still in break in period, still cant resist taking it up in speed.

Back