Racing CDI installation help!

Ya but I would like to learn. Doesn't the wrist pin hold the piston on? Why do I need to change it? Stock one too weak?

the engine is imbalanced and so using a lighter wrist pin brings it closer to being in balance.

Fabian, there is a first time for everything and if he doesn't dig in himself then how is he going to learn? Probably a good idea to find a video on rebuilding the top end. Best advice: put a rag between the piston and the hollow crank area (around the flywheel) when removing or installing the circlips holding the wrist pin in place. Those circlips are known to get away from even the best of mechanics. A good thin ended needle nosed pliars is all you need to handle the circlips.

Yes there are switches inside the CDI. Click on the Jaguar info link on the JNMotors Jaguar CDI page to find all the instructions.

Doesn't the wrist pin hold the piston on?

It does.

Why do I need to change it? Stock one too weak?

You don't need to change it, and the stock wrist pin is strong enough to do the job. Reducing the weight of the wrist pin lightens the reciprocating assembly and changes the balance factor, which changers the rpm zone where the rider perceives the worst level of engine imbalance.

A single cylinder engine by nature cannot be balanced. If it vibrates less in one rpm zone, it will vibrate more in another rpm zone.
To properly balance a single cylinder engine, you need to add a balance shaft, or add another cylinder at 90 degrees to the cylinder bore centre line, or add another cylinder in an opposed fashion, like a BMW boxer twin.

Yes there are switches inside the CDI. Click on the Jaguar info link on the JNMotors Jaguar CDI page to find all the instructions.

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Appreciate it... Can't wait to give all this a try. Where can I buy the titanium wrist pins? JNmotors?

Jaguar I see that you have the wires hooked up in reverse on the new Cdi, you have the black going to the positive and the red wire grounded with the bolt on the coil.... Should I run it this way? More power and better life?

Also I have high compression. Around 145psi, so I should have the timing retarded more at top end correct? Looks like the switches in the on position advance the timing curve and in off position retard the timing. Switch 1 low rpm. Switch 2 high rpm.

I'm thinking having switch 1 on and 2 off will work well. Tho of course I will have to experiment! Only way to really know for sure

Thanks again...

I cannot comment on the new Jaguar CDI's because from your description, they uses switches instead of jumper pins.

With the older Jaguar CDI's, the ignition timing curve was set at the most advanced when all jumper's were removed from the pumper pins, and the most retarded ignition timing curve was set by installing the jumper's on the jumper pins.

Two other ignition timing curves could be selected by having the "A" and "B" jumper pins fitted with only a single jumper, and switching around which jumper was installed on the "A" or "B" jumper pins.

From your description, you must be able to toggle the switch to replicate the old method of "jumper installed", and "jumper uninstalled" settings.

Where to get the titanium wrist pin is listed on my site.
I suggest reducing the pressure to 135psi for longer life of bearings and cylinder lining.

Ya it has switches instead of jumpers pretty cool idea, I think makes it easier to set. From what I can see there are essentially 4 total settings to choose from with the two switches.

Hope jaguar comments back he usually does, but just out of curiosity Fabian, how did you wire your coil? Reverse? Red wire to by ground on coil and black wire to positive male end on coil?

Where to get the titanium wrist pin is listed on my site.
I suggest reducing the pressure to 135psi for longer life of bearings and cylinder lining.

Jaguar you have everything on your page! It's handy for quick info. Thanks for making it. So do u suggest wiring the coil in reverse for more power and better life?

Yes, reverse wired lets the plug last longer and lessens the voltage necessary to spark the gap.

Back