Sprockets Rear Sprocket alignment??????

sprocket

Finished. The chain run turned out pretty good. The whole setup seems to be performing fairly well. I think I will go for a better quality chain and check the places suggested by Gasit.

The gear box sticks out more than I like and it gets HOT!, is my only complaint but I will just get used to that. This is the 12th bike I put together starting in the early 80's to present. This one is truning out to be one of the better projects.

Well,that should do it. As a result of your help I am pleased in the way it finished up.

Best Regards

Bill Snow

Gear Box: Chain drive I believe.

Where did I buy the kit? EBay, from Boy Go Fast,

Fresno, california
the gearing on that BGF 4 stroke chain box kit is way too high with a 44 tooth sprocket
others have tried and either burned their clutch up or just not pulled until the speed was fairly high

i think it needs a 56 tooth to work properly

read mmachine posts about this same gearbox @mmachine

what are the teeth counts on all 4 sprockets?

Last edited:
Where I live it is flatland and on all my motorized bicycles I peddle when I start out. By the time the engine has taken over the clutch is fully engaged and Perhaps I have enough speed up after peddling that it pulls ok.
I took it for a fairly long ride and it seems to be doing very well in the tork and rpm department. It is not a power house but I ride it as a fast bicycle ( 18-22 mph), at lease faster than I peddle. I have a hoped up motorized bicycle that will do nearly 70 mpg and I ride that mostly at 18-25mpg. I suppose I also like the slower turning putt putt chug a lug rpm sound.

You make a good point, I know to lug an engine is not good either . Thank you for bringing that up, I'll keep a watch on it. Beachcruiser found a website that machines their own sprockets and I may try one if this don't work out.

Best Regards

Bill Snow

Hi Guys. GT,
My kit quility was not the best. My chain guart had dents,sprocket has rust under the crome. Stud bots short on threads and u-bolt threads under sized.Im still duilding the bike I wonder what Ill find by the time im done. BGF wonted me to pay return shipping so Ill gust fix the stuff my self. Ordering a Hub adapt.and hd rear wheel for it. Im not going to use the ragg mount this time. Whats the best rear coster rim to get? I have a schwinn delmar.. Thanks GT

GTodd

Sorry to hear how poor the kit is but I am not surprised. Like you, I did a lot of things to make it operate as it should. I even replaced the chain drive with the new belt drive and probably spent enough money on that and several other parts that I could have bought one of the nice quality kits. I could never get it to the place that I trusted it or even liked it. I ended up selling the bike cheap.

I have 3 other motorized bicycles and 1 recumbent trike of which are all good quality bikes with quality kits. They are very reliable, in the class of a Honda. They all start and run great, I have no need to go back and fix or readjust something. I have had 4 of the Chinese Kits and except for the 4 cycle Chinese engine I did not like any of them. I have nothing but good to say about that 4 cycle motor, it has performed very good for me.

I would suggest that you do not dump very much money in that kit unless you want to see how well you can get to work just for the fun of it and spending the money is not a big deal.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Here's how I aligned my sprocket.

Once the sprocket was placed on the wheel, I turned the bicycle upside down and placed the wheel on the bike. I then spun the wheel and while it was spinning I held the tip of a sharpie marker against the face of the sprocket to draw a line around it as it spun. The parts of the line I drew that warped the circle showed where I needed the sprocket. After doing this a few times, I got the sprocket straight enough that I haven't had a single issue with the chain coming off or the tensioner being pulled into the spokes.

Back