Clutch Reassembling clutch - cover with clutch arm won't attach

Sorry, I had the terms backwards; out was freewheel, in was drive. As I thought, that was an easy fix, just opened up the cover, realigned and bolted it back on. Well the guy that I met has an MB, and he used to be a mechanic, so I did take some of his advice, not all. With the spring completely off, I could get the tension I needed. I also gave the chain more slack and as I thought, that fixed the grinding problem. I started her up today but the torque moved the tensioner, and now there is slack on the top of the chain was well as the bottom. Neighbor's suggestion was to move my back wheel further back and readjust tensioner accordingly.

I agree with furry don't go doing something permanent without checking besides it may just be a temporary fix to a permenant problem

The stock tensioner is not a good design anyway (it should really pull the chain from above then it would never flop over) and the bolts it comes with are known to be soft as butter so that they sometimes break when you try to do them up tightly.
Yes, having it further forward and the wheel further back is sure to help. A straighter chain line is going to put a lot less strain on the tensioner. The chain only needs to be just clear of the bike frame.

Well, both the regular bike chain, and the 415 are both too short when the wheel is all the way back now. So, last problem seems to be getting longer chains now. Great, more money spent on this thing before it's even been ridden 20 feet.

Go into the clutch itself, remove the cover, remove the star machine screw and back the star nut so it's loose, then see if the cover goes over the bucking bar. Remove the "clutch thingy" (LOL) and back off the vertical bar, it just might be bound up on the clutch shaft. You never did answer my question....was it put together correctly, and you can't get it back on? Can you install it without the bucking bar installed?

Back this out... at the tip of the arrow marked "FROM"?

That screw sits right over the clutch shaft, and can bind it if it's too tight. Squirt some (small amount) of light grease while you are there.

you saved me had no idea about the ball bearing ahahaha

So, does anyone know what causes my bucking bar to stick out too far? I JUST bought this motor five days ago and still haven't gotten it to run. I tightened up the clutch cable and after that, I BELIEVE that may have caused the pin to stick out. How do I make it go back to its normal spot??!!

first, be sure the arm is all the way down in the cover and the cable is loose - if there is still a bit of resistance as you tighten the cover screws, just tighten it anyway, then open other side cover and tighten flower nut until the arm has a bit of slack

then do your cable & clutch adjustment

Last edited:
The arm? What do you mean? Go step by step with this. I've never had done this before.

You don't u derstand. For some reason, I've loosened the clutch cable AND taken off the the clutch cover on the other side with the flower nut, and STILL, the bucking bar won't go back in to the normal spot. Why did this happen? It was NEVER like this before!!!

that flower nut threads onto the end of the rod that the bucking bar pushes - when flower nut is too loose, the rod moves out toward the other side

you will now need to push the rod back through by putting the cover on and using the cover screws to force the cover to push the rod back in, then you can pull it in more by tightening the flower nut until the clutch arm has a little bit if play before it touches the bucking bar

Back