Registration in California is not possible and not required

Oversized engines

Hi RvgKid, thanks for your kind words. We have a responsablilty, I believe, to not screw up the Motor Bicycle Concept for everyone else in our respective states.

I have been experimenting with LEGAL 4-stroke 49cc engines for about 1.5 years now and have finally come up with a good combination for in-frame 1.8-2.5 HP 9cc clean 4-stroke bicycle power. It is quiet, does not scream, squeel, nor puke out the grease or oils from within itself, as do the other types that I have seen. I will soon be offerring these to a new Dealer network to be distrubuted to the known world. I hope, that i have discovered the answer to the Motorized bicycle's needs.

Now here is the problem with what you are considering doing. The reg230 will most probably go thru, BUT what cop in his right mind is going to accept a 6.5 hp Roto-Tiller as an under 2hp bicycle engine?

So now here is a dillema, shall we lie to the State, just because we want that bigger engine, and possibly cause the State to slam the door on everyone? IF they do catch you lying (they call it perjory), what will they choose to do with you, seeing as it was an entirely willful act?

I do have a suggestion..........try GX50 Honda, or HS/Clone. I weigh about 300, and I can VERY sucessfully ride both, tho the Honda hsd s bit more POOP.

Do tell us what you think of what I've written?

Mike

thanks mike!

Mike,

Thanks for your contribution and insight. I thought I was riding legally all this time. Since reading this thread, I've submitted for a plate and am getting my M2. It took me a while to understand the difference between 406(a) motored bikes and 406(b), and what that meant to me.

It boiled down to this:
406(a) M1 or M2 DL required, DOT approved helmet, up to 30mph, no pedals required for electric
406(b) No motorcycle DL required, bicycle helmet ok, up to 20mph

I have a home built MB and an electric from Baja Motorsports. The electric is interesting because it can qualify under both, depending on how I set it up. Out of the box it qualifies as 406(b), but it must have the pedals on and is governed to max mph under 20. Under 406(a) I can remove the pedals and remove the governor (max 30mph).

I'm not sure the home built qualifies at all. Under 406(a) the one problem is the automatic transmission. I have a HT kit with the stock manual clutch set up. My guess is that 406(a) is written the way it is to make sure folks have two hand brakes (right & left), or some other safety related issue.

Any thoughts on the automatic trans issue and whether our MBs with manual clutches comply?

rbtp

Last edited:
comply, comply, comply!

I hear Mike's message loud and clear. Comply with the laws or we will all lose our legal priviledge to ride our MBs on California roads.

rbtp,our motor bike with a manual clutch do comply, its not a transmision, just an engager. maybe we should not call it a clutch, clutch to me means shift, my ht dont shift, just engages or disengages.. thats how i see it

Hey Mike, can't wait for your motor debut and hopefully it will be a big success for you.

As for the registration, the reason why i have been interested in the Harbor Freight motors is because of the pricing. ZnsaneRyder is experimenting with the HF 2.5 engine now and if his results are good i might just go with that one becuase of its sizes comparison. I would love to eventually get the GX50 Honda and be completely compliant but i would be looking at probably and extra $250 just in parts. I wonder if the Honda GX50 puts out just as much power as the 2.5 97cc or 6.5? From what i've read, the Honda is a wonder engine and very reliable.

My cousin is a Sheriff and patrols the area in which i will be commuting. He said that they are basically looking for Probable Cause to pull over. People without I.D., records, and what nots. In most cases when they pull people over on bikes is because they look suspicious, Don't have biking gear, Lights, riding on sidewalks, stuff like that. But then again what about the cop whos wife yelled at him for not closing the Toilet Seat right before walking out the door to work that day. Better to obide by the rules and have no worries.

My plans on motor biking are not only for commute, but to build something relaible for semi long Pacific Coast Highway camping trips and what nots. So i would rather be pulled over to be admired on my ride then to be pulled over and have to walk home.

I feel the same way about the clutch being used to shift rather then engage. It should be called an Engager.

Last edited:
Rgvkid, the OHV 2.5HP at Harbor Freight is only 79cc. The 97cc 2.5 you mentioned is a baja doodlebug engine that's a flathead.

I forgot about you being in CA. Since California REQUIRES a tag for a MB, they would have a closer "eye" on you than if they didn't require one.

Being so, I would highly recommend NOT to get a 6.5 in CA, because it LOOKS BIG, but the 2.5HP, 79cc is small, only 29cc over the limit, and if you remove the muffler cover, airfilter cover, and a few other things, it looks even smaller, and would be much easier to *cough* pass it off as a 50cc. There's lots of folks cruising w/80cc anyway.

Last edited:
use bike serial #

I sent it in like you said but they sent it back and want a vin number chp does not issue number how could you have gotten it without a vin number?
Thanks,
Michaell

Michaell

most of the members who have submitted the form for a calif. tag just put the serial# of the bike in the space for a vin#. and if your motor doesn't have a serial # then just make one up.

ocscully

You could probably buy a tap die set with letters and numbers from Harbor Freight, pretty cheap, and just tap out a number on the neck of the bicycle. Would help also for contact if it ever got stolen. Maybe your drivers license number plus a few more so it doesn't come up as exactly DL.

Michaell and OCScully, which form did you use and what are you running on your bike?

Last edited:
You could probably buy a tap die set with letters and numbers from Harbor Freight, pretty cheap, and just tap out a number on the neck of the bicycle. Would help also for contact if it ever got stolen. Maybe your drivers license number plus a few more so it doesn't come up as exactly DL.

Michaell and OCScully, which form did you use and what are you running on your bike?

Here is the link to the DMV form #230 Just fill out section A & D and mail form with a check for $18.00 to the DMV in Sacramento and approx 3 weeks later you will get your plate and a Registration/Title card in the mail. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

I currently have two motorized bikes one opporational, which is a Honda GXH50 on an 89 Nishiki mountain bike using the Grubee Skyhawk II install kit. I'm also in the process of building a stretched mountainbike using the same motor and a custom one-off Metric Timing Belt Drivetrain.

ocscully

Back