Registration in California is not possible and not required

Bicycles and sidewalks

Hi vja, well in MOST of CA. it is Illegal to ride bicycles on sidewalks, side walks are "the side of the road paved for walking".

This too is an under-enforced law, but a true one, how would you like to be the one struck down by some kid on a bicycle, he slams into you from behind, silently, injures you, and pedals away laughing.

Not me, I'd rather hang him, or do something other than being injured illlegitamately, when I am operating in the right, and he in the wrong.

Mike

Hi vja, well in MOST of CA. it is Illegal to ride bicycles on sidewalks, side walks are "the side of the road paved for walking".

This too is an under-enforced law, but a true one, how would you like to be the one struck down by some kid on a bicycle, he slams into you from behind, silently, injures you, and pedals away laughing.

Not me, I'd rather hang him, or do something other than being injured illlegitamately, when I am operating in the right, and he in the wrong.

Mike

I understand the problems with riding bicycles on the sidewalk. But ... as for myself, I am very careful, just so you know that you don't have to worry about getting hit by me. I watch very carefully when I ride, have a loud horn to warn anyone, and I always slow down when I'm getting near places where people might come out of ....

I usually try to avoid sidewalks, but unfortunately, where we live, the roads are so bad, and there are too many roads that are dangerous, some very dangerous, for bicycles ... !!! Too many cars drive at least 10 mph over the speed limit. So, if the speed limit is only 20-25 mph in downtown, many vehicles drive 30 to even 40 mph ... !!!

That is why I was hoping that I could get a powerful electric motor that would allow me to have good acceleration, and high speeds when/if I need it, so I can get out of the way, or zip across the bridge at 25 mph, or even drive in downtown traffic at 15-25 mph, which would be just fine!

I've seen lots of mopeds buzzing around town, and they seem to get around just fine in slower traffic ...

ride

Here is the CA DMV site re: motorized bicycles:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd3c1a8_1.htm

Looks like we all need a plate on our bikes. But for $15, I think its worth it to avoid the headaches of the cops, courts and DMV. (especially here in Orange County!!)

yeah i met a guy who has at least 10 mb's plus some are whizzers and briggs and straton 4 strokes(muscular mb's for sure) and he's got like 5 or so registered with the california plate.....i was like: "do you really need the plate? cause he had fenders, and mine are off right now....and he said "its like 15 bucks, better to do it and have no problems..."
So im thinkin im gonna do that relativley soon as well...
-beachcruiserD
ps- im in huntington bch, you ever go riding with anyone?....i'll take a cruise down south to meet some locals if need be!...thanks

It's $17 or more now.

For the ID Plate and the ID Card, the last increase was to $17, so I sent 'em $20, to cover any late increases.

HAL

pooolice a leaving --- with no contact made...

i was like: "do you really need the plate? cause he had fenders, and mine are off right now....and he said "its like 15 bucks, better to do it and have no problems..."
So im thinkin im gonna do that relativley soon as well...

got my Calif MB plate mounted

a couple of pooolice have looked at the plate

and then just drove on --- always a good thing to see

the pooolice a leaving --- with no contact made...

as we smile and ride those things

Riding Free and Easy ... !!!

got my Calif MB plate mounted

a couple of pooolice have looked at the plate

and then just drove on --- always a good thing to see

the pooolice a leaving --- with no contact made...

as we smile and ride those things

Feels good to ride free and easy ... !!!

Got my CA plate in the mail yesterday, went riding today feeling free and easy, no longer looking over my shoulder worrying about black and whites!

Couldn't have been easier, filled out the form with the brand of bike, the frame number of the bike as the VIN (as described in previous threads), a pseudo engine number (i might stamp it on later just to be 'legal'), BGF for the engine manufacturer, all the pertinent boxes checked (i.e. under 2HP) and a check for $18.00. Plate arrived 3 weeks later.

I do have a motorcycle driver's permit too, just in case.

BTW, the city of Huntington Beach, CA (appropriate, beachcruiser?) has put together a nice summary of all requirements with references to all pertinent CA laws and published it at

http://www.surfcity-hb.org/government/departments/pd//traffic/alternative_vehicle.cfm

Scroll down to 'Mopeds or Motorized Bicycles'. It's a good thing to print, take with and show to any officer that is skeptical that you may be legal. Sure enough, they even have a picture of a bike with an HT motor on it!

It's nice to be LEGAL!

Good Luck, Good Riding.

Last edited:
registered in Calif.

I have my motorized bike registered in Calif. this past summer. I used a number on the motor and sent in a one time fee of $18.00. I have the plate on my bike now.

Thanks MotorbikeMike. I know this must be frustrating for you but you wouldnt be checking back on this thread and responding if you weren't sympathetic to most of our questions. Thank You for your advice and to all the others that have put in thier 2cents. It is greatly appreciated.

As for me, my concern on my build is that i am going to be using the $150 6.5HP 196cc engine form Harbor Freight for a Push Trailer Setup. On the "Drag N Fly" site, http://dragnfly.org/, they link you over to the Reg 230 for street legal registration. I tried contacting them on what size engine they suggest for their kits but they have yet to reply. No, I didn't tell them i was doing a DIY project and not buying one of theirs. Anyways, I take it they are probably using a small IC engine but the smallest that i have seen for mini bikes are 97cc like on the Pep Boys Mini bike which looks pretty much like their kit.

With mine, im planning on doing what Mike says when it comes to Make and Model by using Bike name and engine name with Bike Ser# and Engine Vin#.

Do you think it will slide? I think im going to have to feel out Application 406 and register it as 196cc, But will i need to get insurance? Has anyone had to get insurance on one of these if even possible? Maybe i should just fill out the Reg 203 and "choke cough choke!" the HP questions?

Im a 16 year M1 licensed motorcyclist also, and i suggest that everyone just take the Motorcycle Training Course even if you are just riding at a max 20mph. Its a great sense of security to have your license and you will learn so much more within that short period of training then you would riding on the street. I learned more in 2 weekends then i did riding for one year without a motorcycle license. Plus, they give you the M1 course test on the last day with the supplied and insured motorcycle that you have been training on. JUST DO IT!

And for those who have bikes under 50cc or 2HP, $18 nothing compared to the sense of security you will get from it.

Last edited:
Back