Registration in California is not possible and not required

Thanks, you said you talked to the FUZZ. What did they tell you?

yeah i called both my local police department as well as the city that i work in and one said to register it with the DMV and ride in the bike lane with a helmet and the other city didnt have a clue and tried to forward my call to the head of traffic and he never returned my two calls i had in. :\ i went down to the DMV expecting to take my M2 test and they actually after 15 minutes of research found out that i didnt need my M2. i want to get one anyways just because its good to have though.

I thought it was interesting in the CA motorcycle handbook it says,

Class M2 - You may operate any motorized bicycle, any bicycle with an attached motor or a motorized scooter.

That's the first I've seen 2 separate definitions - or - wordings implying there are indeed 2 separate categories, motorized bicycle and bicycle with an attached motor.

Ok - now I'm confused. You can get a plate for a motorized bicycle but yet another item discussed on this list from the CA DMV states "A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration." So is the plate registration or not? The URL is here: www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4020.htm

Thanks - John

i know out here in california, all of the freeway entrances have a sign that says "NO BICYCLES, NO MOTORIZED BICYCLES"....or something of that nature....i've driven down PCH, though, but in the bike lane only....

yup. its broken down into two catigories... 406a and 406b

But I believe 406a and 406b are separate in regards to electric or gas powered, although I can't tell if that's what they're referring to, didn't seem like it to me...?

Originally Posted by beachcruiserD
i've driven down PCH, though, but in the bike lane only....

PCH is dangerous enough driving a car! I've biked, (pedaled) a couple times on it only up to Temescal Canyon and Sunset and I get pretty nervous, cars get up to 70mph, (45 limit) on there and some areas the cyclist is forced into the car lane. On the way back I get too worried and will cross over onto the beach bike path as soon as a I can.

Cal Trans seems reluctant to make it cyclist friendly even with all the roadies that cruise it...and the ones that have been killed on it.

That is one of my long trip mb cruises I'd like to make sometime though, Santa Monica to Santa Barbara.

406a gas --------------- 406b elect ---- yes

But I believe 406a and 406b are separate in regards to electric or gas powered, although I can't tell if that's what they're referring to, didn't seem like it to me...?

that is what it is -- most of the time anyway

406a --- gas under 2hp

406b --- elect

as we ride that thing

that is what it is -- most of the time anyway

406a --- gas under 2hp

406b --- elect

as we ride that thing

Right, 406a and 406b are both listed only under motorized bicycles.

But the motorcycle handbook mentions motorized bicycles, (406a - gas and 406b - electric) then mentions another "term" bicycle with an attached motor.

If motorized bicycle already means gas and electric anyway, why put in that extra term, bicycle with an attached motor?

When I read the CA laws, I can't help think of say, a Whizzer. It's made exclusively as a motorized bike...and maybe a moped with pedals too. They are created specifically as a motorized bike.

My GEBE can be separated in less than 5 minutes to be just a bicycle. I can even just take the belt off and have no connection to the 35cc engine. So it seems I can alternate between bicycle and motorized bicycle. Do I need a DOT helmet if I'm just pedaling around with the belt off, (and engine mounted)? Banned from the bike lane or bike paths also?

That's all being pretty overly technical, (or is it?) of course, but what I'm trying to say is I think in the laws there should be another category like "bicycle with an attached motor" or like Bama mentioned earlier, "bicycle with motor assist". In those 4 questions, I don't believe I have an "automatic transmission" (or do I?).

I'd thought about that before I looked in the CA motorcycle handbook and low and behold there was that new mysterious term, "bicycle with an attached motor" I'd been thinking should be there along with motorized bicycle. So, why the 2 different terms in the manual is my question. Why not just say, M 2 license can ride - motorized bicycles and motorized scooters instead of saying the 3 categories?

When I went to the DMV to pick up a 230 form, they didn't have it, (or heard of it) and they also told me I just need to register the bike with the police dept. I never did but maybe I will go there just out of curiosity to see what they say. The bicycle police station is only a few blocks from me. Actually I'm curious what the bicycops would think about my ride.

Ok, having said all that, I've already sent off my rg230 form and waiting for my plates! Thanks for letting me think out loud!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whizzer is not a motorized bicycle

When I read the CA laws, I can't help think of say, a Whizzer. It's made exclusively as a motorized bike...and maybe a moped with pedals too. They are created specifically as a motorized bicycle.

this one's pretty easy

the Whizzer IS NOT a motorized bicycle because

it is over the 2hp limit...

thinking that this may be what Ca is calling a bike with a motor ?
requiring the M-2 license ?

it is kind of strange that those little noisy scooters
seem to be exempt from most all laws
we would not wish to knock them though -- because they also love to

ride that thing

But isn't the Whizzer NE5, (from the website specs) a 1.95hp, with a "listed" top speed of 25mph? That should qualify, shouldn't it?

But isn't the Whizzer NE5, (from the website specs) a 1.95hp, with a "listed" top speed of 25mph? That should qualify, shouldn't it?

SORRY ABOUT THAT -- I SHOULDN'T BE TALKING FOR WHIZZER

I had heard about some pretty high speeds on the Whizzer's
shouldn't have - but did - take for granted above 2 hp

Iam not up on their different models either

wow -- could be a mountain blow it done here ???

ride that thing

Back