RS-68 Legal Motorized Bikes in Florida at last!!!

Pretty cool, in between lead and LiPo, still too heavy for aircraft, but at least it's safer.Maybe someday, but electric is good for in town, it won't cut it as main transport.

Nice discussion but hijacked by SpecialX who promotes electric bikes. This was not the thread for that. This is about those of us with Gas Powered engines to discuss us having the ability to be legal. Respectfully take the electric bike comments to another part of the forum. Who is really the troll?

A link about Florida laws that may be helpful even if outdated.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/bulletins/2003/Scooter_fact.htm

316.003(77) "Moped" means:

Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed grater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

A link about Florida laws that may be helpful even if outdated.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/bulletins/2003/Scooter_fact.htm

316.003(77) "Moped" means:

Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed grater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

How is that helpful? The definition shown is correct but the info in the link is miss leading....
The specific part in that link that shows "a moped is not a motor vehicle" is true , HOWEVER, ONLY in terms of REGISTRATION Statutes...

When it comes to DRIVER'S LICENSE statutes, it IS considered a motor vehicle and REQUIRES a driver's license.

When it comes to DRIVER'S LICENSE statutes, it IS considered a motor vehicle and REQUIRES a driver's license.
It says you need a drivers license.....

What are the driver licensing requirements for mopeds, scooters and other two or three wheel motor vehicles?

Response:

If 50cc or less, these vehicles are not motorcycles by driver license law definition, FS 322.01 (25), so a motorcycle endorsement is not needed per F.S. 322.03(4).

However, to operate them on streets and roadways, you must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator (Class E) or "Motorcycle Only" driver license.

(Reason: even though these vehicles are 50cc or less, they still fall under the driver license law definition of "Motor Vehicles" and a driver license is required to operate a "motor vehicle".) FS 322.03(1), 322.01(26) and 322.05(1).

Question:

Is there a motorized vehicle you can operate without a driver license?

Response:

Yes, if at least 16, you may ride a bicycle with an electric helper-motor that can not go faster than 20 mph on level ground, per 322.03(1), 322.01(26) and 316.003(2).

A motor bicycle shouldn't have to be registered nor should it have to have a license plate tag on it. They also should not be made to have brake lights and turn signals. I'm getting out of MBing because of RS-68. I've sold most of my stuff and am looking at a Honda Ruckus.

Thanks to everyone in this forum that bought me out of all my MBing stuff because of RS-68. I used the money to buy this................................ ruck1.jpg

Back