RS-68 Legal Motorized Bikes in Florida at last!!!

SpecialX wrote this on the "other" forum, "The whole point for Gene to post on the other motorized bicycle website was to be a complete ****.
Basically, he wanted to be like ha ha all of you people that do not have drivers licenses are now screwed and I'm happy about it.

Albeit it is the truth but I am pretty sure that that was his main reason for posting it. It had nothing to do about actual legality of gas powered bikes because we all knew there was a gray area and now that's all closed up."

First of all dude all my posts here were celebrating the fact that Motorized Bikes were legal. Upon making those posts we were subjected to those who take offense of registering and being legal. Second If you had any balls you would have said what you said to me here directly not on another forum where you totally misrepresented all of my posts. You sir are a worm.

On Post #47 of this thread, I DID say that.
'Nuff said, move on.

I have a bicycle, I have a motorcycle, I have a car, I have a DL.
I could personally care less about other's situation.
I also personally think that the whole needing a license to drive is a bunch of baloney, even though I do conform to that particular law. The point being, is that unless someone is actually harming someone else, I think the "government" should keep their nose out of the general population's business.

The founding fathers, if they could see the country now, would be rolling around in their graves. They were so completely against "government" but that is a discussion for another day/website.

Since you seem to make a habit of interpreting and accusing others of what you deem is their motivation, why don't we try that on you.
Here is what you said here not on another forum. "I run electric. I have no problems with the new law.
I run cleaner quieter and longer and then all of the people that run gas so either way it makes no difference to me. I am always laughing at all the people that run gas bikes usually. Needless to say, I ran a gas spike for about three months, it was okay but I'll Lectric is 1000 times better.

First who really cares what you use. We are discussing the recent change in the law dealing with Gas powered Bikes. Your use of Batteries is of no interest to those who are reading this section of this forum regarding the laws especially those that are being changed. Then you go on to say, and you have been corrected, that ''you run.... longer", that was silly. But then you show your true colors when you say," I am always laughing at all the people that run gas bikes" Really?
And the purpose of that I assume was a big put down on all of of who use gas as fuel whether they have a DL or not. So let me tell you what I think about you. You came on this thread because it really bothers you that now the people you laugh at can now be legal. I am sure you loved the idea that your little electric motor was legal and they were not. No longer could you tell everyone how perfect and legal you were while dismissing all the rest of us. Make no mistake you are a phoney. You could care less about guys who have no DL you just lament the fact that those of us that do can now ride legally. And that really p*ises you off. You should migrate to the electric forum where you can meet all your superior electric motor bike riders. And don't talk about others by name on other forums grow up.

So anyways, (ignoring Gene's troll post)..
Here's some news for you new. moped riders…
(From the Florida statutes)
(b) Any person operating a moped upon a one-way highway with two or more marked traffic lanes may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of such roadway as practicable
(That's even better than the bicycle statutes where it says only on two Lane, one-way streets)

And as a reminder...
(4) No person shall propel a moped upon and along a sidewalk while the motor is operating.
(I see that happen a lot.)

Troll Post. Funny. But I see you are quite the Barrister on the other Forum giving legal advice to a guy with legal troubles as if your were capable of such an activity. Pretty presumptuous on your part. For your latest post here. News for us Moped riders. What makes you think we don't know these rules. Please we are not impressed with your electrical box it is ugly and totally rudimentary and neither are we impressed with the advice you give others who are in trouble with the law. Thank God the dude didn't listen to you.

Speaking for derelicts, reprobates, and just plain morons...I have spoken to several small time builders around the state, and they are willing to join a lawsuit to prevent the enforcement of RS-68.

Last edited:
I don't see why you would need to do that. That has always been the law that a moped is basically a bicycle with a gas motor on it. Moped meaning motorized pedal cycle.
RS-68 just provides a way to get it registered and get a moped tag.

Up until that procedure came out, I had a letter directly from the DMV stating that a bicycle with a gas motor on it is still considered a bicycle.
(Prior to that, it could have been used a gray area.)

Oh and the reasoning for me for laughing at bicycles with gas motors on them, was the fact that most of them tried to race me from a stop and it was a lesson in futility for them because I would blow them away up until my limiter of 20 mph.
And for those interested, that didn't know about having the motor operating on the sidewalk seems actually TO BE news to most gas bike riders, because at LEAST HALF of the ones I've seen ride at 15-20 mph on the sidewalk.
(Not pedaling, but using the motor.)

Speaking for derelicks, reprobates, and just plain morons...I have spoken to several small time builders around the state, and they are willing to join a lawsuit to prevent the enforcement of RS-68.

How about instead of doing that, all of those people changed to electric.
That would solve the issue for those people needing a drivers license.
Yes the initial cost is more but, in the very short term it becomes a lot cheaper.

Troll Post. Funny. . Please we are not impressed with your electrical box it is ugly and totally rudimentary.....

Yep. Troll post that was.
At least two people on this thread didn't think it was ugly and rudimentary. OCCchopper and barnfresh.
As a matter of fact that was completely childish and sophomoric of you to say. It only goes to show your true colors....

If anyone is having trouble with figuring out the statutes concerning mopeds, like where to find them, I am sure there are plenty of people that would be willing to help, including me.
(In other words, the people who were originally riding them without having them registered and did consider them a bicycle, those would be the people that I am talking about as "new moped riders".)

Quieter, yes.Everything else you stated is factual nonsense.Can you do 200 miles in one day?What's your one way range, mine is 90 miles, and I can fill up instantly (with gas I carry) and do another 90 miles.Did you run a quality petrol set up or a CG?Put in writing how electric is 1000 times better than a GEBE, show your work, not your opinion.It's been proven over and over that electric is more toxic to the earth than wet fuel.

My bicycle has a limiter on it (called a cycle analyst) to keep its top speed from being over 20 mph, and it has 100 mile range at that speed. My longest trip without charging is 116 miles at approximately 16 to 18 mph.
It takes about 10-15 minutes to charge up to 95% from a Normal 120v outlet. No gas.
In regards to refueling, in case you are not aware if you have traveled on a moped, or a bicycle for that matter, after three hours of continuous riding you definitely need a rest because it's a little tiring on your rear end.
In terms of gas vs electric availability, there are all a lot more open outlets available everywhere around as opposed to gas stations. (All you have to do is ask where ever you are if they mind if you use their outlet for 10 minutes. This includes supermarkets, gas stations and anywhere else there is an open outlet.)

My longest trip in one day was 212 miles in one 24 hour period.
(At traveling at approximately 16 mph on average, including three recharges and hanging out at the places where I was recharging. [i.e. The places I was traveling to anyways]).

Last edited:
Back