Solution to 3 piece crank

Irish, The bike doesn't need to be a next any short crank from a large BB should work.
The 6" measurement which after I remeasured is actually 5 1/2" this is from the center of bend (where the crank goes through the BB) to the center of pedal hole.
Yes I am running a 56T this is because I live in the foot hills and ride in the snow. I climb three hills in 5 mi and still need to pedal up each with the 56T. I put a 50T on this summer and really liked the extra speed but pedaling your arse off on every grade does have drawbacks. A 48T where I live would be the same as not having a engine at all. IMHO a 48T with the kit is as bad as the 3-piece crank. Grubee I won't comment on....

Pearl, yes it is much better.

Nsideus, I believe you about living up hills that are incredibly steep but your case is an exception and your need for a 56T sprocket is also an exception and puts you in a minority of users. The majority of users find the 48T perfect for the Honda and good enough for the HS given that 50Ts are hard to come by. If you ever feel left out when Grubee include the 48T as standard in future kits let me offer to give you all the 56Ts I have in my garage. That is one from every kit I've bought so far - 8 so far and rising!
You are welcome to as many as you want for free but to say that making the 48T standard is as silly as the 3 piece crank fiasco is really divorced from the reality of these pages because firstly, the 3 piece is incredibly ugly whilst any sprocket wheel size looks pretty much the same and secondly there was absolutely no reason to change to the 3 piece given that all 4-stroke frame mounts go into cruiser frames that take the 1 piece. If you read these pages you will find that very few people with 4-strokes use the 56t and very few like the 3 piece sprocket. I don't really give a rat's **** because I have enough i piece cranks and 48T sprockets for my own use but I sell built bikes to first-time novices and even they, after just one glance, won't accept a 3 piece crank and after 2 days of riding would be hammering on my door asking for a smaller sprocket if I gave them the 56T. NOBODY will accept a 3 piece crank and I'm a good blarney-merchant. They just can't stand the look of them on an expensive cruiser. I too live in a mountainous area in the middle of the largest vocanic crater in the southern hemisphere but my Honda with a 48T will climb almost all the back roads no matter how steep. It takes people a few days to learn how to take a run at certain hills but it's infinitely better than life with a 56T. I know because I've seriously tried 44T, 48T and 56T. Your case is exceptional and the conditions you encounter call for an exceptional sprocket size. I have been known to fit a 56t on a Grubee for a very old man because I wanted to slow him down but he too was an exceptional case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back