Sprockets Sprocket Alignment Problem 2-stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
guadalupe, what do you mean by your rear sprocket being uneven? Does it "wobble" from side to side (bad) because of the rag joint, or is it slightly off center (chain tightens & loosens a bit, not as bad) ? Just get it as good as you can (looks like you have), I would think that most members here with HT's (without shift kits) have slight sprocket "off-centerness" with no ill effects.

The sprocket that came with my last kit seemed to be machined a hair "off", the teeth actually seemed to be a tiny bit higher on one side then they were on the other. It wasn't enough to cause any trouble, at least in my case.

You can try to touch up the teeth on the sprocket with a file or small angle grinder, helps the chain to sit on it better (too much of that bling-bling chrome from the factory :whistle: ). I didn't have problems with the chain coming off but filing the teeth definitely made the chain run smoother and more quiet.

One more thing I can think of - you say that the engine sprocket seems to want to "feed" the chain into the rear wheel. Does the engine look like it is centered on the frame properly (looking from the top)? Perhaps one of the mounts in the engine casting could be a hair off from factory causing the engine to sit at a slight angle to the frame....

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "rear fork". The chain guide (not currently on in the pics I took) seems to do an excellent job feeding the chain to the rear sprocket but since the chain feeds into the engine sprocket from the top this doesn't seem to help much? Also I fear my rear sprocket may be uneven, would this create a big enough problem to be throwing my chain off everytime? Thanks!

The rear fork is the lower frame tubes that extend to the rear wheel. That is where the chain guide is mounted.

I see the chain guide in your picture so what do call the chain guide?

Is the chain jumping the front sprocket (doubtful) or is it jumping the rear sprocket? Move and adjust the chain guide as I suggested and it should be OK. If your sprocket is wobbling a noticeable amount, adjust it too.

The correctly adjusted chain guide can compensate for considerable front to back misalignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back