Starting from square one...

I just think it's funny how some shifters think a shift kit is the answer to everything.

It is the "only" useful method of adding proper functionality to a motorized bicycle.
If there was a better system on the market, the shift kit wouldn't be installed on my bike.

The guy hasn't even built a bike yet and here is someone already pushing a shift kit on him.

I tried using the original single speed system and within 30 seconds it became glaringly apparent that it was completely useless for efficient transport, which then lead me to research other options, of which i spent about 3 weeks researching every form of motorized bicycle systems on the market, some 4 years ago. There was nothing on the market, other than the shift kit that allowed the bike to be a viable method of transport.

Makes me wonder how much sbp is paying Fabian?

Maybe you should mention that to SickBikeParts, because i long for the day when someone throws money in my bank account without having to lift a finger for monetary gain.
You also need to take into account that i spent 2 years trying to get SickBikeParts to design and manufacture left hand side and right hand side chain tensioners, despite them telling me i was doing something wrong if needing chain tensioners on the shift kit, and as it turns out there were a lot of other competent people who were "doing something wrong", which finally resulted in chain tensioners being developed; making it a truly reliable device for everyday use under punishing conditions.

Having said that, the reality of the situation is that the Shift Kit has allowed me go where i have gone, and to enjoy the places i've visited and to make friends with people who i would have normally never met, if it wasn't for the functionality that the shift kit added to my bike; giving long distance touring capability and surprising reliability when fitted with tensioners and the White Industries Freewheel.

I think a shift kit is great! but depending on location and need.

I will have to agree with you on that.

if you live in the great plains or somewhere really flat the single speed with chain tensioner heavily reinforced would be the most reliable possible setup to get you to work on time.

You make a logical point.

I understand your point Fabian, but the guy didn't even build his first bike yet and he explicitly stated he has no prior mechanical knowledge or experience (almost the same thing when it comes to mechanics), so while I understand how a shift kit adds great functionality to a cheap piece of junk China two stroke, I don't think he is ready for one YET. Even sbp recommends that only experienced bicycle mechanics attempt installation of one. Because get it wrong and you can not only eff up your bike, you can probably endanger yourself and others as well. I'm not saying anything against a shift kit, I just don't think it's an appropriate recommendation for someone asking for a book or video on how to install the engine kit.

If you take it as a compliment, then i am most happy that i've made your life a little happier and a little brighter.

As things are you have made a valid point that cannot be argued against.
This is not a contest and i am not here to be engaged in contests, but i bring forward my ideas based on my experiences, which are extensive with regards to motorized bicycling.

When someone makes an argument that has relevance and provides an equally useful alternative for a particular situation, then that person's point is anchored into solid ground and i must acknowledge it as being a viable alternative, when there are no negatives attached to it.

Dude, I was making a joke because that's the first time you've ever said that to me. A few times you've said the complete opposite. So that was my attempt at bantering. Lighten up a bit, buddy :D

Back