Starting from square one...

Well...this thread got a little entertaining there for a while, didn't it?

But, sdratler, some of what's been said here really is true. These are highly personal machines and a successful rider must be his own mechanic.

This is not bad news, though. Because it's not all that hard. There will be frustrations, unless you're very lucky. Hence the advice to have back-up transportation. I'm now experienced enough that I rarely have to use it, but I still keep a backup bike on hand.

Even if you've never used a wrench in your entire life you really can learn what you need to know pretty quickly. It'll take a good deal longer to learn everything there is to know. And if you try to learn everything before you ever ride, then you'll never ride.

So I'd advise you to go for it and put your bike together, then ride it. When you have trouble, we'll help.

Even if we sometimes get a bit cranky, we're on your side.

Crikey, you are still living in the dark ages.

Not everyone needs gears. It adds unneeded complexity and weight. I don't understand why you don't just put a huge single speed on the back since you're not allowed to go over 20 kph anyway.

Not everyone needs gears. It adds unneeded complexity and weight.

I have no choice but to agree with you, if that requirement meets your needs. I will however say, that "gears" does massively improve the riding experience and the functionality of the bike, even if you don't "need" it.

Back