Staton: What size friction roller?

I really would not worry about engine stress on the bike frame. The kit has its own frame, it just attaches to the bike.

When I bought the Encore it was the biggest thing they had back then. I have no idea on how the new engines perform but I trust Rob or Kristen to give good advice. Rob can tell you if its an easy mount on your bent or not. The one thing about the 47cc is it keeps it below that 49cc max limitation some states have, not sure on PA.

dchrist, I am an ardent fan of friction drive. I love
Good job, SirJakesus. Which engine are you using? At what speed and rpm does that 1 3/8" roller max out?

I'm running a slightly different version of the Mitts 43 from my NuVinci setup. Maybe an updated version. I don't know how fast it got up to as I don't have a speedo installed on that bike as I normally just peddle it around. Id say I got it up to a good 30mph on the flat around here on the same day I installed it which means its far from broken in. It sounds a lot more quiet than my NV rack maybe because the exhaust is at the very back of the bike and further away from me. I definitely notice the lack of chain/gearbox/transmission noise even though theres not too much of that on my nuvinci bike compared with cheap gearboxes. I do notice the whirring sound of the tire and a little bit of an engine braking effect probably just because of the drag on the tire from the roller. But it's cool, makes me ride the brakes less down hills. I'm definitely hooked as far as simplicity and portability go. I wouldn't hesitate to throw two friction driven MB's on my trunk mounted bike rack but I've never done it with my other bikes because they've got a lot of added weight. I'll definitely buy another one of these even if my girlfriend doesn't like this when she tests it out. If she does like it I'm ordering another one for her XR75. Yes we have identical bikes that will hopefully both have different types of kits installed. I'm confident she will be able to carry this thing up the stairs to her second floor apt too. I'm very impressed by this system. It outperformed my expectations.

Edit, BTW this is the kit I bought from Staton:
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3188
It came with the dual engaging rods, everything I needed as far as hardware goes, and an awesome handlebar mounted kill switch with perfect length of wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious...what made you pick the Staton system with the metal roller over the DE system with urethane rollers and the engagement handle?
Denny

I like the fact that the staton has a clutch and I feel it's simpler to install and operate. I originally bought it for my girlfriend so ease of use and simplicity was a must. The DE system overall looks a bit more complex. I've already dealt with staton as well so I was confident in the fact that what I was buying was going to be high quality.

Engagement levers are great as even with a clutch model you can raise and lower the unit so if in a pedal only area or out of gas issue arises you get zero drag while pedaling. Your lucky you can get your gal to go with you, cannot get my wife to go zooming around with me. Unless I buy her a Vespa she says, lol.

I really would not worry about engine stress on the bike frame. The kit has its own frame, it just attaches to the bike.

I kinda don't that. "The kit has it's own frame, it just attaches to the bike"......frame. It attaches to the bike frame, where all the stresses eventually end up. Motorizing a bicycle, any bicycle, puts stress and vibration on a bike frame that wouldn't be encountered without a motor. The weight of the motor, gas, the mount and a more constant forward speed grinding along over uneven pavement and such.

Someone posted in General Discussion about a chromoly frame being cut in two. I noticed I need to watch my wheel bearings a lot closer, things become loose. Many have problems with broken spokes and bent rims.

Happy Valley,

The kit I use weigh's 11lb's. On MTN Bikes it connects to the seat post and the eyelets on the bike frame, both places designed to hold weight. For nearly all Bents they have a custom kit that connects to the frame with no drilling, like I said speak to Rob there and he can say what can be done. Now a really cheapo bicycle may have all kinds of issues, any system is only as good as its weakest point.

The Dimension Edge kit does not put stress on wheel bearings, Spokes, rims, and I cannot imagine it putting any stress on a off the shelf frame, bent or otherwise. It just doesn't attach that way. I really suggest before snapping to conclusions about all kits having the same issues you look at how they work. There is a reason the DE kit was awarded a engineering patent for a type of device that has been around for 100 years. He really did design something different from what others had done before. Thats why I don't have the problems you describe. That kit does not put stress on parts that cannot take it except for the cheap tires new bikes come with. But really, who is not going to upgrade to a good quality thorn resistant tire set if they are going for long rides anyway?

I tend to agree with you about most MTB frames....I have an 25 year old anchor of a Nisihi that I plan to use with the engine. It was designed for the abuse off road use and I can't imagine even with an engine that riding on the road is that much harder on the frame. My Barcroft bent is more like a rode bike frame, lighter and built more for speed, so I'm a little leary of mounting an engine on it as I would with a traditional rode frame.

Any friction drive will put a little more stress on the spokes. Because, you have the roller pressing down on the tire from the top.

I've also never seen an issue with the metal drive roller causing any sort of heat related issue with the tire. (and, I'm in the Phoenix area.) Nor have I seen any evidence of it transferring heat from the engine. IF you are slipping the clutch, the roller could get hot if you keep it up for a long time, (or, conceivably, if you don't adjust the roller pressure properly, and the roller is slipping on the tire,) but, once you stop slipping it, it also cools down quickly. There's a LOT of aluminum in the channel on a Staton to to suck up & dissipate any excess heat, after all

Pumpbuilder

That you like what you ride is great, good for you.

I was speaking about motorizing a bicycle in the context of the questions being asked about stress and a fifty mile one way commute.
Take two identical new bikes, same rider, location, and routing, motorize one and leave the other original. To my mind there is no doubt which will show more and faster wear.

We could talk all day about which engine or kit or mount or whatever might be easier on a bicycle, or more efficient, or faster, or what have you.

BTW, I don't snap to conclusions, I always attempt to offer considered opinions before commenting. I don't have any particular axe to grind.
That you are enthusiastic about the purchases you include in your signature is great.
If we are handing out unsolicited suggestions, I might suggest you be less defensive about them.

Last edited:
Back