Staton: What size friction roller?

sorry to steal your thread happy valley but i need some help in ordering the proper size roller for a slighty used staton drive i just bought of another member. The kit came with the 1.25 roller installed but it will be a couple of days before i put it on my bike.
(I weigh 180 lbs riding mostly flat with some minor rolling hills.)first impressions are excellent quality, is the roller hard to swap out looks pretty cosy in their.

My gebe setup runs great but the thing ways a ton with all the extras so i am really looking forward to throwing the staton on my "normal bike" and seeing how it runs.

I built my friction setup for almost the exact same reason vegas. My other bike weighs so much I fear putting it on my trunk mounted bike rack to take it places. With the friction drive I have no problem as it adds only 10 or so lbs to the bike. It's basically unnoticeable and an extremely fun ride too. I bought the 1.375 roller with mine when I probably should have bought the 1.25 instead just due to the hills around here. It's nice anyways, I can run at a really comfortable speed with almost no throttle on the flats. Top speed is impressively fast although I don't have a cyclecomputer yet. It requires pedaling up hills to keep engine RPM up but it's alright and functions as a MAB should. Only drawback is that I wouldn't be able to motor up the steepest hills around here without straining myself and the engine where I think a 1.25 would do a better job, especially since I rarely ride the thing to top speed. So I'd say hold on to that spindle even if you do get a larger one, it may come in handy if you take a vacation somewhere really hilly.

Hey, no problem vegaspaddy, it's all good.

Did you get that Mitsu set-up that was listed? Since you're installed just give it a try, you may be where you want to be already.

I weigh around 200 and the terrain is mostly flats, of the two set-ups I'm running a 1" and a 1 1/4" with a Robin and a Mitsu engine. I"ve swapped engines between them and for me I like the Robin w/ 1 1/4" and the Mits w/the 1". To each their own, I personnally would not want any larger rollers, or any less low end torque.

You can search a number posts here on disassembling the Staton FD. (I believe Kerf had a solution) An issue is loosening the clutch drum without destroying it. Since yours is new, maybe it's not frozen on there like some I've read about.

Lou,

I don't understand how pressing a roller into a tire will place stress on a spoke? I have never bent nor broke a spoke and have many years, unknow mileage but pretty high, so I feel I have good RL experience. This system "floats" on the tire as it flex's from eyelets.

Happy Time, I suggested that you had snapped to a decesion as you are describing faults that don't occur with the kit style I use because of its design style. Not so much as defensive as frustrated in that folks here always have an opinion and tell me what is wrong with this kit style.... and it doesn't have those issues. Its not like a Staton at all except in curosary looks, operationaly its night and day different.

Now that I have been here for a couple months I think I understand how the Staton works and I will post some new pics of my bike showing why its different and "kinder" to the bike parts. A differnet thread really explained the parts on the other,[Staton] kits and I realise now that they seem to operate more like the old "Island Hoppers" did. If that is correct I now understand some of your issues with them.

It's not going to put any unbalanced side-to-side single-point stress on any spokes, like clamping a pulley or sprocket to the spokes will.

However, it will put a radial downward force on the wheel, at the point where your friction wheel is pressing into the rubber. This force acts to distort the wheel. Normally, the weight of the bike/rider provides the only radial strain on the spokes. This force is upward from the ground, and the wheel will deflect slightly, and become very slightly egg, or pear shaped. The bottom spokes will become slightly less stressed, and the side and top spokes will be under slightly more strain. If you're pushing down against the wheel as well from the top, you'll end up with a wheel that is slightly oval shaped, which will ever-so-slightly stretch the leading and trailing spokes, which face the front and rear of the bike. Again, because the additional strain is shared by the rest of the spokes which are not 'load bearing' at the top and bottom of the wheel. As the tire rolls, the strain shifts smoothly, from spoke to spoke. With a non-friction drive bike, as a given spoke rotates, it reaches minimum strain at the very top of its rotation. It reaches maximum strain when pointing straight ahead and straight back, (when horizontal to the ground) - ref the attached strain plot. By adding downward force at the top of the wheel, this will tend to make the 'valley' on that plot a little shallower, and make the 'hills' on either side (at +/- 90 degrees) a little taller. This can be explained by looking at the second image, a quick, sketch of the wheel/spokes, with the deflections GREATLY exagerated... Because a force acting on a circle tends to deflect the circle into an oval, the points at 90 degrees from the force will have the greatest deflection, and therefore, the spokes will have the greatest strain at 90 degrees away from the force.

If you could move the friction wheel to the front or the back, it would tend to reduce the strain caused by load bearing. If it's at the top (or bottom) it tends to add to the strain.

In addition, the action of the motor will add torque to the wheel at the top. That torque is transferred to the ground, through the wheel, and the spokes. Since the torque is evenly distributed amongst all the spokes (assuming even tension on all the spokes) there really isn't any more net torque induced strain on the spokes than if you were providing the torque by peddling.

Attachments

• fig11.jpg
    fig11.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Wheel Stress.GIF
    Wheel Stress.GIF
    2.4 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Nice technical Lou. I kinda didn't get it at first thinking any point on a circumference was 90° to the center.....then the light went on with your second image that you are referencing load through to the ground.

Hmmmm, and I wondered when I mointed my friction kits, given the frame geometry of my bikes, if it would be a problem that the rollers do not fall directly over the axle but back a couple inches. I see it now as a blessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes its the mits setup that was up for sale,i hope to get it up and running at the start of next week as i don't have a moment to myself at the present time. Hopefully i got lucky with the 1.25 roller and it will suit my needs just fine. I am going to put it on my pride and joy kona so i am hoping for a no hassel setup otherwise i will be of to craiglist for a new bike...

Lou,

Sweet Job explaining it all. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu5h3BFTpbs&feature=related

Check out the link and tou will understand a bit about some of the features I like about the DE kit. On the recumbent trike with the trick steering the engagement is in an "interesting" spot. Normally its right in front of you in your normal field of vision but the quietness of no clutch..... and you can see how even on a heavy trike it gives great low speed put put preformance plus top end.

Back