Steam Powered Bicycle- from scratch

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HoughMade, Oct 12, 2009.

1. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

2. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Awesome, I want.

(Stop putting ideas in my head Hough! The voices are bad enough! lol)

TREEWK Member

Thanks For Posting That. Ron
  4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

5. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Always wondered, if you could condense the steam back into water and reuse it in a closed system, it would be much less restraining. Not sure it would be practical for our purposes. Although pictured on the vid, is a very small engine. (Hmmm, push trailer?) The return already being close to boiling temp, would be a mighty efficient system except for that whole exploding thing. Always a trade off, eh?

Way OT,.. Dave, just noticed your sig. During the good Mr. Barry's last ficticious run for president, I made beer, well, I cheated. A buddy of mine in S.A. designed lables and at a book signing, presented him a few bottles. Sure it was a children's book, but hey...
  6. alecw35

alecw35 New Member

they have huge cooling towers at power stations. To cool the water for reuse.
    I was reading a book about vintage farm tractors. They had a large condensor radiator on the front of them.

I geuss the bike doesnt use so much steam. So a cooling condensor wouldnt have to be all that big.
  7. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Cool thought Al. Got me thinking a simple used radiator would work.
  8. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

great post... that guy is brilliant!!!
  9. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Thanks for sharring guy's!
  10. Presbyteros

Presbyteros New Member

Oil Problem

On Jay Leno's Garage, he remarks that since you inject oil into the steam, you always have the problem of oil in your water. That always prevented a real, closed system. They never figured out a way to separate them out.
  11. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Kool, learned some thing there.

"Reciprocating steam engines, like the ones that power small scale live steam locomotives, require the use of steam oil to internally lubricate their moving parts. These parts include steam admission valves, pistons and cylinders, and valve and piston rods. Steam oil is introduced into the steam supply in one of three ways: mechanical injection via a mechanically driven pump (Aster Big Boy), Roscoe (dead leg) displacement lubricator (most Aster locomotives), and the pass-through displacement lubricator (AccuCraft, Roundhouse, etc.) Steam oil must possess unique characteristics to allow it to mix with saturated steam and hot water (condensate) within the admission valve and cylinder assemblies, and to provide a sufficient lubricating oil film between the engine's internal moving parts at all times" oil.htm

Found many producers of "steam engine oil" Does that make steam engines 2 stroke? :jester:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  12. liscos439

liscos439 New Member

Nah, one stroke :)
    If it's a usual double acting one, if it's a Mamod type single acting it's two stroke.
  13. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

LOL, the oceans of my "dunno" really are only doted with islands on knowledge.

Truly amazing the stuff you can learn from being into this crazy

Attached Files: