The Pocket Bike Engine and Your Opinion...

great motor , the one i used had a high compression head on it , kinda funky , i like cag motors , they look cool and have some strength , they are fussy , make sure your head is on straight , use locktight on the bolts , and motor cover , huge assortment of tuned pipes for tiese motors , putt a rocket key in it and it will have faster pickup. but dont do it till you motor is broke in , shortcomings , they tend to overheat some , then loose power. get the upgraded jet pack for the carb .here is my build with that motor .

That is an awesome looking bike!

How does the derailer system hold up to the power?

If i didn't need those pesky pedals........... :unsure:

Pretty sweet! But it looks like I'm going with the Titan 4 stroke. Just ordered it last night..and with the freewheel crank I got from SBP I'll be pedaling too. :D

derailleurs hold up fine , the tranny is the 5 to 1 reduction , cuts down on the torque . there is a slight modification required to fit tranny over clutch , you have to shave a nut a few mm's so tranny fits over the clutch , original tranny has a deeper bell . the original tranny is a pocket bike tranny has no reductions and drive sprockets fit 8mm chain not half inch bike chain. don't go with big drive sprocket , cag motors don;t like to be lugged , they like the high rpms, ... motor starts on first or second pull every time .its all about tolerances

Just sayin......

Excerpts from: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.shtml

Motor-assisted Scooter

According to ORS 801.348, a motor-assisted scooter:
Is designed to be operated on the ground with not more than three wheels;
Has handlebars and a foot support or seat;
Can be propelled by human or motor;
Has a motor capable of propelling it no faster than 24 miles per hour on a level road; and
Has a motor no bigger than 35 cubic centimeters or, if electric, has a power output of no more than 1,000 watts.

Moped

According to ORS 801.345, a moped:
Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels;
Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
Is equipped with an independent power source that is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source; and
Is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged.
A bicycle equipped with a power source may be classed as a moped if it meets all the moped requirements and also does not meet either the definition of an electric assisted bicycle as defined in ORS 801.258, or a motor assisted scooter as defined in ORS 801.348.

Mopeds must be titled and registered, but Oregon law specifically exempts motor-assisted scooters, electric assisted bicycles, and personal mobility devices from title and registration requirements.

yes Ive always called them scooterbikes, there are made from bikes , but the concept is a scooter with big wheels , a scooters alternate form of transpo is the old foot push , and you can do that on a scooterbike if you want . and i do have 33cc and also the 4 stroke 35cc i just use an 8tooth drive for the lesser powered motor . in four years i have been pulled over on time , with no ticket , the cop was just curious i think . its just allot cheaper than adding a freewheeling front crank , which is another option i am working on at this very moment . really the 80cc bike kits are supposed to have motorcycle endorsement . and the jack shaft kit also uses the bike gears , i went to dmv to try to register one of scooterbikes they laughed at me... I'm almost ready to go to the state capital in Salem i think the time is right with the mood of the country and foreign oil and all that they might relax the laws a little or at least make it easier for people to license experimental transportation. be courteous and safe , wear your helmet , lots of lights

on a side note , it was Ron tonkin a big auto dealer who had our laws modified in Oregon to ad electric bikes to the exempt list , because he wanted to give E bikes to his customers that bought new gas guzzling cars , goes to show you that money talks ,

derailleurs hold up fine , the tranny is the 5 to 1 reduction , cuts down on the torque . there is a slight modification required to fit tranny over clutch , you have to shave a nut a few mm's so tranny fits over the clutch , original tranny has a deeper bell . the original tranny is a pocket bike tranny has no reductions and drive sprockets fit 8mm chain not half inch bike chain. don't go with big drive sprocket , cag motors don;t like to be lugged , they like the high rpms, ... motor starts on first or second pull every time .its all about tolerances

ACK !!

5:1 reduction ?!

Jerry, is this the standard trany you use with your mount kits ? from the pics i thought it was another common unit of 3:1 reduction.

thanks,
steve

Back