Thoughts on Internal Shifting Hub?

Hey Gary you use a jackshaft kit do u use a regular bicycle chain on drive (right)side? and has it held out out well ?
I do use a 410 on the right side for both chains and have had no problems with either one for over1500 miles. I keep it lubed with dumonde tech lite ,and if the engine sprocket was thin enough for a 410 I would probably use it there too.

I suspect the guys using 415 and 41 chain are compensating for inadequacies in other areas! :)

Seriously, the 410 chain offers significant advantages in economy, weight, centrifugal effect and wear on other components.
I like KC's analogy of using a ship's anchor chain for a dingy.
You know, Skyhawk kits shipped with 410 chain and sprockets and I loved them, easy to work and available everywhere.
Then the 'market' changed because people that couldn't mount the rear sprocket right and were breaking chain and thought the answer was 'bigger stronger chain'
PPfft...
I find single speed HD 410 to be the best chain wherever you use chain on an MB, if you are breaking 415 and thinking #41 will help you inherent problem, ummm, like Steve said... ;-}

Like KC mentioned, a rough shift with a derailleur shifter can damage the chain and sprocket teeth.
I had a few rough shifts where it jumped as I opened throttle and could see the effect on the rear sprocket teeth.
More power causes more damage.

Steve
That is exactly why I like internal shifters.
One wheel sprocket in perfect alignment with the pedal sprocket running 410 chain, 'it just don't get no better than that' in my best slang ;-}

Mine is set up with BMX chain or similar. Being completely aligned, I'd be very surprised to see any issues.

Regarding the jackshaft, I like it except for the lack of engine braking and the engine being not totally connected to the rest of the drivetrain. The centrifugal clutch hidden in there bugs me. Wish it could just have one clutch instead of two, would clean things up a bit. The starting situation is mixed, helpful to be able to start the engine on a center stand but not as easy to start on the fly as a single speed setup.

Logan

Mine is set up with BMX chain or similar. Being completely aligned, I'd be very surprised to see any issues.

Regarding the jackshaft, I like it except for the lack of engine braking and the engine being not totally connected to the rest of the drivetrain. The centrifugal clutch hidden in there bugs me. Wish it could just have one clutch instead of two, would clean things up a bit. The starting situation is mixed, helpful to be able to start the engine on a center stand but not as easy to start on the fly as a single speed setup.

Logan
No centrifugal clutch on the 2 strokes, and having one of each type the 2 stroke is the winner.

Regarding the jackshaft, I like it except for the lack of engine braking and the engine being not totally connected to the rest of the drivetrain.
The centrifugal clutch hidden in there bugs me. Wish it could just have one clutch instead of two...
Logan
That is not a cent clutch, that is the freewheel bearing your BB's 2 sprockets are bolted to so your legs are'nt beat to death when the engine is powering the back wheel and you don't want to pedal.
It is also why you have to 'kick start' your engine with a pedal opposed to 'bump starting' it with bike momentum to help.

'Engine Braking' is all about your own needs.
Seems every year there is new topic about making a left side direct drive's freewheel, aka no engine braking (drag).
The thing is, you want gears to climb the hill, the sacrifice is having to just rely on brakes for the decent back downhill.

The solution is simple, just start with good brakes!
You get all the advantages of no drag coasting and the stopping power when you need it.

2_GT2-GT5-2sFrontLeft1280.jpg

2_Fito3doneL-1280.jpg

2_FitoDoneL-1280.jpg

2_Surley2SmuleL-2048.jpg

Brakes.
There is no such thing as too much braking power, only not enough!

You also shouldn't use compression braking for a extended amount of time on two strokes. With the throttle closed your engine isn't getting any lubrication.

You also shouldn't use compression braking for a extended amount of time on two strokes. With the throttle closed your engine isn't getting any lubrication.
Sure it does, it's called 'idle' hehe ;-}

Update on the shimano 8 speed hub-

After losing interest in the bike for a while, I ordered a kx65 pipe and slapped it on the bike. Got it tuned, muffled, and took it for a ride...

It pulled great! Easily the most powerful combo I've ever had. I have no doubt it would have hit 40 mph. However, the fun was over quickly.

When I shifted from 7th to 8th, there was a pop, I saw something go flying, and the engine was no longer connected to the wheel. Whoops. Guess I didn't take the shift easy enough.

The wheel now spins freely in both directions. I want to say a pawl or something is what flew off, letting the hub freewheel in both directions. I can't find anything that is obviously wrong on the outside though. I can shift through all the gears normally, I don't think the inside is grenaded but I haven't taken it apart yet.

Just wanted to provide some resolution to my original question of how strong the hub is. Probably not strong enough for a daily beating.

There are a few members running nuvinci n360 hubs and don't complain, all praise. If I could afford the hub and jackshaft kit I would leap on it.

The wheel now spins freely in both directions. I want to say a pawl or something is what flew off, letting the hub freewheel in both directions. I can't find anything that is obviously wrong on the outside though.
Sounds like the keyway in the right side jackshaft gear.

Just wanted to provide some resolution to my original question of how strong the hub is. Probably not strong enough for a daily beating.
If you know how to shift them, a NuVinci hub is really cool with ~2-3HP (50cc), but it gets dicey larger engines, and it did when I first tried one on a tricked 66cc, it failed in short order.

It looks as though they have gotten better but I have been building 4-stroke shifters lately and in them they work great.

Last edited:
Back