throttel cable to long?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dave1490, Aug 16, 2007.

to long cables

1. just right

2. 3in to long

3. 6in to long

4. 9in to long

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dave1490

dave1490 Guest

i see alot of pic of this i now mine is,so this is a poll{maybe they will ship them with shorter cables}.thanks

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

a longer cable is more universal
    if they ship shorter cables, it will mean lots of people's will be too short
    on a large frame or even using high bars(apes), they can be too short as it is

imho, better too long and sticking out, than too short and un-useable
  3. From the manufacturer's standpoint a longer cable is in fact more universal but
    from an end users standpoint I think they are a little long too...but in the end I guess it is better to have a foot too much cable than a foot too little.....It would be nice if the end that goes into the throttle could have a removable piece (similar to the little brass thing that screws onto the clutch cable) so that the end user can cut the cable to fit then simply screw on the little end and put it in the twist throttle.
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:with my DAHON 20" bike, the cables are always too SHORT! i could've use 5" more on my friction drive(60"), and 5" more on my gear chain drive.
  5. azbill

azbill Active Member

I also want to add that I like being able to see who agrees with me in polls :D
    (and who voted otherwise) :rolleyes:
    this new software rocks ! :cool::cool::cool:
  6. japat100

japat100 Guest

we would all agree if ,,,,

adjustable length ,,,,, 100 percent
    just right
    3in to long
    6in to long
    9in to long

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  7. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

If your throttle cable is too long, provide a service loop at the bars and another at the carb. That will take up most of the slack and still look good.
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

not to sound stupid...what's a 'service loop'?:confused:
  9. spunout

spunout Member

oops. i didnt understand the poll question. i thought the subject was what is the common problem we see with them. mine always seem about 3" too long. too long sux (not as much as not long enuff, obviously) because there's more loops and bends and angles that stress the cable out
  10. a little extry to adjust up and down on?
  11. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

does anyone know where i could get a motocross grade throttle cable for my bike, because mine broke and i dont feel like fixin it again after i fix it!!!

12. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice, informative first post ! :)
    perhaps you could 'introduce yourself' and make some new friends?
  13. BSA

BSA Guest

Am I missing something because I would just cut the cable to the appropriate length?

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

if you cut the throttle cable you lose the little end that pulls the carb slide
    it's as simple as that !
  15. BSA

BSA Guest

Of course, I forgot about that.

16. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I use a soldering iron and apply solder (silver/lead) in thin coats until I build up a small "end" that pulls the carb slide. I use a dremel and grind and cut it to the appropriate shape. Total time it takes is less than 15 minutes and I have a perfectly sized cable.
  17. Shorten the throttle end

All bike shops have "ZIRKS" ... they are drumshaped like your current tab is that rides in the throttle coller track ... cut and shorten your cables from that end ... slide on a Zirk, grip it with vicegrips as you screw in the screw that locks the zirk to the cable ... dremel off the screw till what is left looks just like what you have now ... slide the drum back into the circle slot on the throttle coller ... 2 minute job. Zirks are about a buck in 2 sizes ..
  18. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Zirks huh...i prefer that idea of customizing the cable from the throttle area.
    Sounds like a lot less hassle.........handy info,thanks.
  19. Just insert the cable wire thru till you have at least an 1/8 inch tag end which you also cut off flush. Some shops carry only the slightly taller zirk which sticks out of the throttle catch hole a bit. If that happens just cut a slice off the end of the zirk taking the screw off with it ... the balance of the threads lock the cable wire tightly.I actually use 2 vicegrips, one to hold the zirk,the other to tighten down the screw much harder than a screwdriver can. have over 900 miles of use on Red peril build and 550 on the Stallion build with no problem.
  20. smitty

smitty Guest

I haven't checked lately, but in the old days I was making extra long brake cables for tandem bicycles, with cable ends available at a local motorcycle shop. They were made of brass, turned on a lathe. Just slip one on and solder it in place. They had a variety of sizes and styles.