Tri State Ride Ma. N.H. and Maine Saturday April 10th

Motorized Bike or Moped

Nice to meet some new friends. Pirate Cycles had some nice machines on hand. Ray had a nourishing array of fine cusine . It looked like it was going to be a fun day of MB riding. Rays 4 stroke Habor Freight was dial in as we headed North into a stiff head wind. We hooked up w/ Corey on the road & helped set up his Hai Sheng . & were off again. 4-5 mi up Rt 1A in Hampton Beach, group of 4 got pulled over by local police. I tried to explain that these were motorized bicycles & not mopeds. No big deal I thought as we handed Police Sgt our drivers licenses. 15-20 min later two of us get violation for no registration
$103.33, ea.

Last night I spent several hours examining the NH MV laws. The law I was cited for Regulations Statutes & Ammendments (RSA) 261:40 knowingly driving an unregistered vehicle, $100 fine.
Mopeds are defined in RSA 259:57 as a motor driven cycle, < 30mph, <50cc, no shiftable gearing. Under Vehicle Registration Rules, section Saf-C500 apply.
Here Saf-C514.23 covers Moped Plates.
Bicycles w/ motors attached (the 2 bikes that got ticketed) are included in definition of Motor Driven Cycles, which include motorcycles or motorscooters < 5 HP, but not including mopeds. These two bikes are defined in the Words and Phrases Definition section as not being Mopeds, they are bicycles w/ attached motors.
My MB is a modified Giant Hybrid w/ 700c wheels, 36cc Robin Subaru 4 stroke w/ custom shiftable transmission. Top speed on flat road 30 MPH. wgt w/ basket < 45 lbs. Most of the time I pedal assist the motor. It's rather hilly where I live
& my best milage is ~ 185 MPG. If it's not a motorcycle & it's not a Moped
then it must be a bicycle w/ attached motor.
I & my fellow Outlaw & friend Fred will be returning our violations w/ Not Guilty.
The Police Sgt stated he has cited numerous MB's as unregistered vehicles.
Maybe there will be a silver lining in this black cloud of NH Law reguarding Motorized Bicycles.
Updates will follow. Yours truly George

Live Free or Ride!

Even though my ride was cut short the day was a success!. I was semi legal, i have a reaigtration but it wasnt for the bike i was riding, the officer accepted it and it saved me a ticket.

Ray, nice hidden camera, i didnt even know you recorded johnny law :) glad he didnt see it you may have been arrested for evesdropping lol. Thanks for the donuts and coffee, it was excellent timing lol.

Pirate Cycle's crew, i absolutely loved your bikes, the board tracker style one with the expansion pipe, is scary fast, and scary handling but that is one fun bike. My buddy Yves and I were speaking to you about the lighting systems for the bikes I will be in contact with you guys as we complete our prototype.

James, it was a plaeasure meeting you, and we should definately get more rides in your area, weymouth and south shore is wonderful for motorbicycling. i like the chopper, hopefully mine will be as good looking when i complete it lol.

If you guys have trouble rigidtering your bikes in NH, im not sure how ethical/legal is it, but i will be willing to register your bike for you in MA, and mail the sticker and paperwork to you. we will definately all need to be registered if we do this again.

I think we should have a ride going south, like towards cape cod. South shore is wonder for a 30 mph ride.

Oh yeah, i was following Ray, back to the site, and we were flying up the road that has a posted speed limit of 15, my car full of people was following us as well, we were all speeding. So another cop comes up and asks for the bikers only, to tell us to slow down.... what about everyone in my car?!?!, that was right behind me speeding. whats this double standards for vehicles, other than that he left us alone.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed it guys. Sounds like you had some fun. Don't the cops have real criminals they can mees with?

Anyway if any of you are interested, I'm going to post a thread in "Lets ride" for a ride through Lexington and Concord this Sunday. It's a big weekend for re-enactments and if you like history it's pretty cool.
Check it out.

SS

I had a great time on this ride. Thanks Ray for the memorable day.. Also, it was nice to finally put some faces with all the names. Good group of guys.

I like the idea of a nice parking lot swap meet with some food, music, and motored bikes. Ride free or just hang out and shoot the poop, no pressure!~. I'm wondering where something like this could be held and if there would be a interest for it this summer.? Just a thought..

Until we all meet again..

Justin
Pirate Cycles

The laws you are dealing with sound similar to NY...

You guy's need to get together and say you were pedaling if there is no chance the dash cam got ya's...

NY has still got a clause in the law that says that any vehicle with a motor on it is a motor vehicle... Who cares about the $100, you don't want that on your license!!! That's why I don't carry one when I ride!!! Didn't know I needed one for ridding a ten-speed Sir!

Back