Two things you don't need on your 2 stroke.

They actually do have them it seems. Here's one they use in Nitro RC cars.

http://texten.tistory.com/33

Man. That filter is giving me a High School flash back. :D

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 333
Grauhco...I know from reading that you are a VERY accompolished wrench!!! What do you think about the validity about what Large was saying about paper fuel filters takeing out oil??? Makes Large (Tee Hee) sense to me....POPS

Thanks POPS but there are many here that are light years ahead of me. Im always trying
to play catch up.

In a micro view my opinion is this...(my opinion only) The tighter the filter element inside
the faster any oil/fuel debris will plug it up. Holding back the oil/lubrication. I do agree
with that. I do though, believe in inline filters (non paper) and changing them often.
It stinks paying more for them. Yet it also stinks being broke down or taking a ride with a
carpy functioning carb. Take care POPS.

Last edited:
FUEL FILTERS: I won't use inline fuel filters on a 2 stroke. I've seen them ruin engines. 2 Strokes use the fuel mixture to cool the engine. not just feed it. If the engineers that designed the engine would have thought in-line fuel filters were necessary they would have used them, or recommended them. They don't; because if the fuel filter becomes partially clogged, the engine will keep on running, but running hot and lean, the kiss of death for those engines. I've seen motorcycle dirt bikes seize from a partially clogged fuel filter. The in-line after market fuel filter is just one more thing in the chain that can potentially harm the engine. There is no need for an after-market in-line fuel filter.

In some ways your logic is sound, in practical application on a low cost carb and 2 stroke engine with a lousy supplied fuel tank (read Chengine Kit, bike engine kit, HT kit) it makes zero sense.

Of course the first thing to fail if you build the kit per instructions is a clogged in tank filter - these are designed in and recommended by the kit company! So there goes that point.

Next is the reason the darn thing clogged in the first place. Junk in the lousy fuel tank. Tear the stupid intank filter out and install a good fuel filter.

It's better to catch this **** than have it plug the jet!! Partially or fully.

The merit part in your "don't list" are the cheapie paper filters. Unless you are diligent they will clog and they will self destruct eventually. But most folks here watch them and use a HUGE oversized filter for the amount of fuel flowing.

That said a sintered bronze filter is a 3D structure (as most filters are to some degree) and yes with enough junk they may clog, but with close visual examination and a simple reverse flush are good for many seasons.

Attachments

• Fuel-Filter1.jpg
    Fuel-Filter1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 327
As far as a filter impeding a fuel oil mix that is in solution. A paper filter may hold a tad more oil, but that's far fetched. I don't see it as a problem, especially with a sintered bronze filter.

I buy the biggest clear inline filter I can find in a year I have gone through 4.
The old fuel tanks in the local gas stations are contaminated with water, dust, urine and rust.
I have replaced a fuel regulator on my sons truck $96.00,
a fuel pump in my van $396.00. Because of the seasonal monsoon flooding the gas station fuel tanks.
a new fuel filter is cheap insurance.

Urine??!?!? *ehem* WHAT??

Back