Safety Want a motorized bike but mom won't let me:(

Tell your mom this is your new hobbie to keep you out of trouble. whell untill you get it runnin. Tell her this experience will help your mechanical skills so next time the car breaks down you can fix it.

Alright I didn't read all the posts although I figured I could share some of my personal experiences.

When I turned 16 my parents actually encouraged me to purchase a small 250cc motorcycle. (Lucky me i realized later) Partly because they were tired of driving me to work. They trusted me with a motorcycle somewhat cause I had a lot of experience on 2 wheelers when I was younger.

Not sure if your state offers one but heres my reccomendation: enroll in a motorcycle safety course. They teach very important fundamentels about proper braking, steering, dealing with obstacles, handling etc. These are all things an individual will eventually pick up on their own...if they don't learn the hard way first!

I believe if you pass a motorcycle safety course you'll prove to your mom that you can handle a heavier, faster, more dangerous machine....so a motored bike should be no problem!

Also I was told millions of times as a younger teen that teens think they're invincible....I didn't wanna hear it although when I got older I realized that was true. Just remember always drive defensively expect that car to pull out in front of you- then when it does you'll be prepared. And always remember that you are not invincible, and body parts are extremely expensive!

cheers man, I wish you the best luck with mom! :helmet:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I had my mom see this and now she doesn't have an argument. We both know that this will teach me valuable skills riding a motorized bike on the road, or any motorcycle for that matter.
I'll probably be enrolling in a class and be out on the road in no time.
Thanks again so much, you really helped out a bunch:bowdown:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I had my mom see this and now she doesn't have an argument. We both know that this will teach me valuable skills riding a motorized bike on the road, or any motorcycle for that matter.
I'll probably be enrolling in a class and be out on the road in no time.
Thanks again so much, you really helped out a bunch:bowdown:

:DGreat! Glad that MBc has helped you.
I hope that as you go through the class you will take many notes on saftey and post them in our saftey section.

Let your Mother see my post! We all want to make sure that you stay safe, and it will be good reinforcement if you repeat what you have learned.

Looking forward to seeing your posts.

You'll shoot your eye out...

Wait, that's a BB gun.

Nevermind.

honor your mother
don't talk back
understand her perspective
make sure it is legal where you live
show her you are responsible and careful and that you always wear proper safety equipment

Do a little google research and show her that on March 15, 2010 a single engine plane made an emergency landing on a Hilton Head SC beach. The pilot and passenger survived, but a jogger on the beach was struck and killed. When your number is up, it is up. Risk is a combination of probability and severity of consequence.

I'm almost 50 and my mom worries about my motorized bike. My wife, though tolerant, doesn't particularly like it when our 20 year old son joins me for a cruise.

Good luck.

Back