What is this thing on my wheels?

Not really because you need to extract the rivits that hold the links together.They are pressed in and they have a mushroomed head which is what allows the rivits to hold the links together. you'll have to use a grinder or a dremel tool with a griding stone on it (a file would work too but it would be a lot of work) to grind down the mushroomed heads on the rivits, and then pry the side of the link off that you ground the rivits down on. The other side of the male link will then slide out of the female link. cutting the link itself won't get you anywhere...the rivits need to come out to get the links apart.
one important thing is to make sure that you don't cut the chain too short. check the length a couple of different times before you shorten the chain just to be safe.
You might be able to take it to a hardware store and maybe they can grind the rivits for you if you don't have access to a grinder. If you do this, make sure that you mark the chain well where you want them to grind....just so they don't make a mistake and grind off the wrong rivits.
when i shortened my chain, i measured it, and ground off a few links to get it close to the right length. then i ground off 1 link at a time, checking the fit and length every time i removed 1 link until i got it to the right length.

Ahh, it seems to me that I have every tool other than a file or a grinder! I went to the bike shop today, and they used a chain breaker. The chain is one link too long, and If i got rid of the other link, it would be to short. :sick:
I attached everything together, and it's all working. I'd run it now, but its raining like usual, and its pretty dark. Thanks for the help.

Chain repair links can be purchaced in full links and half links, so making small adjustments in length is easy. You should be able to buy bicycle sized chains, breakers, and repair links at any bicycle shop. You can buy larger chain breakers for any size chain. I use a local store for a National company called Bearings Inc. (they also have stores named Breuning Bearings) for all my larger chain and chain tool needs. Any good industrial supply store should carry high quality bearings, sheaves, belts, chains, tools, and repair links, etc.

That's why i'm here! There's a first time for every thing, and I am learning alot about mechanics, and how engines work. Thanks for your concern.

Good for you son! These wonderful guys are trying to help you. It's good you understand it. Have fun and take care of your bones. It doesn't translate well into English, but you'll get the idea. My father was German and one day he saw me just after I nearly had a HUGE accident showing off in front of girls on my 500CC Bike. I was about 16. The old man never saw the incident but he saw my face not more than 30 seconds later. He said these wise words to me (in German), "Listen Boy, be careful with that thing! (the bike) When you are sitting on that motorbike, remember, YOU'VE GOT THE DEVIL BETWEEN YOUR LEGS.'

Good for you son! These wonderful guys are trying to help you. It's good you understand it. Have fun and take care of your bones. It doesn't translate well into English, but you'll get the idea. My father was German and one day he saw me just after I nearly had a HUGE accident showing off in front of girls on my 500CC Bike. I was about 16. The old man never saw the incident but he saw my face not more than 30 seconds later. He said these wise words to me (in German), "Listen Boy, be careful with that thing! (the bike) When you are sitting on that motorbike, remember, YOU'VE GOT THE DEVIL BETWEEN YOUR LEGS.'

not to be rude, but i don't agree with that saying at all. the only way a motorcycle / motorbike could be considered the "devil" is when the rider has no clue how to ride. If you grow up with motorcycles, and are taught to ride at a young age, it will stick with you. If you just wake up one day and decide to buy a motorcycle and start riding.YOU are the one who will turn the motorcycle into the devil.
Motorcycles /motorbikes are always looked at as being dangerous....from people who don't know how to ride. and when i say "don't know how to ride" i don't just mean that they know how to take off, stop and shift gears. There is a certain rythem to riding which makes it safe, and only a certain percentage of people know how to use the rythem. It's weird tho because some people were meant to ride, and some were never meant to even be near a bike.

Ahh, it seems to me that I have every tool other than a file or a grinder! I went to the bike shop today, and they used a chain breaker. The chain is one link too long, and If i got rid of the other link, it would be to short. :sick:
I attached everything together, and it's all working. I'd run it now, but its raining like usual, and its pretty dark. Thanks for the help.

Take a punch or nail set of the proper size, place the link you want to remove on an old 1/4" socket (so you have somewhere to drive the pin to). Then take a hammer and drive the pin out until the link is loose- leave the pin in the plate on the other side. If you do not grind and just drive it out, you can resue the pin by driving it back into place and peening it over a bit. Once you grind it, there's not enough metal to peen over.

Back