Crashes accidents and crashes

i had a little crash myself the other day on the way to college, it was pretty much my first good long journey on it since i finished it as my first build 5 days ago.

it was a very wet day as you'd expect in ireland naturally and me ive never owned a bike with road tires before except a kids bmx when i was 3 (which i still have) ive only ever had knobby tires so i bought them for this mountain bike build for €20 (should have spent more lol). these tires are ok in the dry but hopeless in the wet.

so 5 mins after leaving my house still in my home town i go around this corner a little to fast (would have been ok without the engines weight or in the dry) and the back wheel just loses traction and comes out from under me along with the entire bike.
so the bike goes down and starts sliding off towards the curb, luckily im a quick thinker when i gotta be and i go down rolling .
helmet took a knock on the back which is better than it being my head an had a small chunk taken out of it but its still in good nick.

got the bike off the road quick as i could, tryed and failed at roadside repairs mainly because the chain came off and wedged itself in the casing and i had no spark plug tool.

lucky enough petrol tank took a hit but was ok. bikes all better now, everythings grand now

i really should post up some pics of it, with the red and black hand painted decals it looks really sweet

Last edited by a moderator:
Knobbies do even worse on wet roads, in my experience, with some hybrid types doing ok (the kind that look sort of like all-weather car tires in pattern). Slicks can get squirrelly though, that's probably why they are called slicks. :)

Running at the lower rated pressure on the sidewall brand might help (should say "Recommended pressure 50-70" etc).

yeah they're 30-60 psi. when i had the crash thugh i had them up over 40 which now i know was a bit to much. since ive got this engine on my days of jumping up and down paths at speed are over at least until i restore a bmx and start doing tricks

i took the tires down to 30 in the front and 32 in the back so i have slightly more grip now i noticed and im driving a little more carefully so with any luck the next accident is in the very distant future :helmet:

Back