Automatic Shift Derailleur

Wrench

Local time
10:12 PM
The auto shift derailleur.

I hear the Landrider derailleur only shifts 5 gears. Maybe @LR Jerry will show us how he modified his to shift into 6th and 7th gear (y)

Bicycle manufactures have made electric wireless derailleurs too.

Last edited:
Yes I'll be doing a thread very soon. Got the auto shifter working perfectly now. I use a custom built freewheel as well: 34,28,24,21,18,16,14. You have 4 adjustment screws on the LR derailleur: B Indexing, High, Low and Cadence.

To get more than 5 gears all you need to do is adjust the High adjustment screw out some.

20200925_221753.jpg
20201009_223414.jpg

Last edited:
Are you planning to build an automatic shifting bike?
No, I just wondered how the Landraider auto shift derailleur worked. I also heard it only shifted 5 gears but obviously that's wrong. Because you say it has an adjustment screw, which makes perfect sense to me.

I did notice the springs you attached to the derailleur weights in order to make it work smoother. Somehow I thought the springs had something to do with the derailleur being able to shift into 6th and 7th gear.
I guess the springs keep the derailleur from shifting too soon and also allowing the derailleur to downshift better.
I'm always interested in any modification which improve the function of a part.
Thanks for sharing

I was thinking instead of attaching springs to the weights couldn't ya just grind off some of the weight until ya get the derailleur to shift like ya wanted? Just a thought

You can use the cadence adjustment screw to change when the shifter shifts. It works pretty good while the shifter is new. The problem is small swing arms attached to the weights and spin rod wear out causing the weights to become floppy. Once this happens down shifting becomes a problem. Since LandRider went out of business getting replacement parts has become more difficult.
20200308_164845~2.jpg
20200308_151520.jpg

The swing arms look very similar to a roller chain plate; just a lot smaller. The holes that the pins go through get stretched out. Trying to make something that small but stronger would be difficult. At best you might could use a plate off of a micro roller chain. Even then that too might wear out. The springs are much more capable of bearing the stress loads the centrifugal force creates.

20201010_160427~2.jpg

The springs will take the stress off the small swing arms so they don't wear out as quick. Other modifications have been made as well to strengthen the derailleur.

Last edited:
Back