Break In Break-in? should I stay under 15mph...

Scooter 2T and Scooter2T Power read to be the better choices.
http://www.motul.fr/uk/produits/index.html
I have never ran Motul but I know that they are a top performing oil.
I recommend 24:1 break in and 32:1 thereafter.

$17 is an average price for the higher quality oils.
You gotta figure in with that price the fact that it will last a long time and help your engine last longer too.

I found a motorcycle place near enough to where I work that I could walk there. They had just two quarts left of 2-stroke motorcycle grade oil... and it does specify it's for pre-mix and aircooled. Honda brand.

The Honda oil will serve you well. I am glad to hear that you found a local shop you can go to! I was getting concerned for your neighborhood. It seemed like you live in a motorcycle unfriendly town.

oh no... I live in Milwaukee which is very motorcycle hyper-friendly... at least, as long as it's a Harley. It's less about finding a shop at all, but more about finding a shop I could actually get to by bus without having to walk for a couple miles past the bus stop...

The oil they had on hand isn't the highest-performance that they normally carry, but it was all they had on hand. It's not synthetic, but it's still Honda brand, it's still for air cooled, and it's for both injected and pre-mixing.

I should have said a motorcycle unfriendly part of town.:rolleyes:
Milwaukee does have at least one famous motorcycle manufacturer, the last time I checked.

my part of town is probably going to be very MB friendly-- there are bike lanes everywhere, and I see lots of scooters and conventional bicycles. There is a Vespa store downtown near where I change buses, but it's always closed when I am there.

Speaking of Milwaukee's famous motorcycle maker, there is talk of them moving their HQ... personally I think that is just leverage or blackmail or something... Evenrude outboards did that recently elsewhere in Wisconsin, and the town bent-over to keep them. I don't KNOW that Evenrude was playing them or not; either way, the town got them to stay. I personally think that H-D doesn't REALLY want to move, they just want to bully Milwaukee into begging them to stay.

Never ever under any circumstances during the entire life of the engine coast down hill with the throttle closed or near to closed. The only lubrication that the engine gets is the oil mixed in with the gas. With high engine speeds and a closed throttle the engine will starve for lubrication. Hold in the clutch and let the engine idle while coasting down hills.
Glad I read this, I do a little of everything while going dow hills. Will always pull in the clutch, or just give it a bit of gas if needed.

I coast downhill in idle all of the time with NO problem at all even at high rate of speed. This is another one of those myths. There is plenty of residual oil in the crankcase and the oil in the idle fuel flow is plenty (most idle HT engine run very rich anyway). Plus, with little engine work being done there is very little heat being generated and less need for lubrication.

So the naysays who say not to do this, when can I expect my engine to die?

Skyliner, is is not a matter of causing a quick demise of the engine internals, but rather giving the engine a chance at the longest lifespan possible.
Do what you wish. It is only a recommendation based on the principals of 2-stroke operation and lubrication.
Ride long and may your engine prosper!

Harley pulled that same stint here too. York, pa. After their recession layoffs.

There were protest bike rallies. Barely a day in the paper without a story. Talk all over town. Etc. After receiving some deal they stayed here as well.

Back