BT80 one way bearing issue

s3ancis

Local time
11:20 AM
Who's having same issue with BT80? This plate should be locked to the shaft when spinning clockwise and loose counter-clockwise. this one is slipping instead of locking clockwise. the one way bearing is on the next pic. Any solutions?

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_131519.jpg
    IMG_20230209_131519.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230209_133912.jpg
    IMG_20230209_133912.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 80
How many miles do you have on that motor? The rods on the bearing looks like they wore on one side. Either a new bearing or take off the spring and flip the rods over.

You can probably spin that plate by hand in either direction without any resistance even if the part is new, it needs some torque to overcome the cams.

IDK can you buy a better brand bearing or is it made special for the BT

I don't believe that one way sprag bearing is worn as bad as you may think. Those rollers are likely shaped the way they are on pourpose and act on a cam-lock principle. If you take a look at the "rollers", they appear to be pinned and pivot from the center (note the gap on each side of the center of the roller). The outsides have two flats, with one side being longer than the other. The shorter side is further away from the pivot point, however, so when the gear turns in the direction of the shorter - longer - flat side, it slips. When it rotates the other way it cams over to the smaller - taller - flat side and causes it to grab, and since the rollers are oblong shaped, it applies force to both sides and locks it all up.

That's my guess on it's operation at least.

If the shoulder and higher/shorter side is worn enough, or if the inside of the gear is worn enough, it would prevent sufficient or consistent lockup and cause it to slip, and it wouldn't take much wear to cause it.

I don't believe that one way sprag bearing is worn as bad as you may think. Those rollers are likely shaped the way they are on pourpose and act on a cam-lock principle. If you take a look at the "rollers", they appear to be pinned and pivot from the center (note the gap on each side of the center of the roller). The outsides have to flats, with one side being longer than the other. The shorter side is further away from the pivot point, however, so when the gear turns in the direction of the shorter - longer - flat side, it slips. When it rotates the other way it cams over to the smaller - taller - flat side and causes it to grab, and since the rollers are oblong shaped, it applies force to both sides and locks it all up.

That's my guess on it's operation at least.

If the shoulder and higher/shorter side is worn enough, or if the inside of the gear is worn enough, it would prevent sufficient or consistent lockup and cause it to slip, and it wouldn't take much wear to cause it.
That's the way I see it too. the groove around the center will have a spring in there like a TAV clutch to keep the little cam blocks in place.

Back