Can i run GX50 without the breather tube connected to the intake?

cidg420

Local time
5:20 AM
Can i run GX50 without the breather tube connected to the intake? i would be installing a Velocity stack and filter in which i wouldnt have the routing to install the breather tube

It'll work, just plug it off out of the block. That's just an EPA thing to capture combustion fumes from the crankcase.

You have to take precautions if the tube comes from the valve cover. That is PCV tube and should be routed to ground so it doesn't pick up dirt.

Seems Jerry is right. I wouldn't mess with the system. Way different then a typical 4 stroke motor. Seems crankcase pressure lubes the internals on these. I'm thinking because they're 360deg motors.

SPECIFICATIONS​

GX50​

Engine TypeAir-cooled 4-stroke OHC
Bore x Stroke43 mm x 33 mm
Displacement47.9 cm3
Net Power Output*2.0 hp (1.47 kW) @ 7,000 rpm
Net Torque1.6 lb-ft (2.2 Nm) @ 5,000 rpm
PTO Shaft RotationCounterclockwise (from PTO shaft side)
Compression Ratio8.0:1
CarburetorDiaphragm-type (overflow return)
Ignition SystemTransistorized magneto
Starting SystemRecoil
Lubrication SystemCrankcase pressure–driven
Governor SystemNA
Air CleanerDry Paper
Oil Capacity4.4 US oz (130cc)
FuelUnleaded 86 octane or higher
Fuel Tank Capacity0.67 U.S. qt (.63 liter)
Dry Weight9.1 lb (4.1 kg)

Seems Jerry is right. I wouldn't mess with the system. Way different then a typical 4 stroke motor. Seems crankcase pressure lubes the internals on these. I'm thinking because they're 360deg motors.

SPECIFICATIONS​

GX50​

Engine TypeAir-cooled 4-stroke OHC
Bore x Stroke43 mm x 33 mm
Displacement47.9 cm3
Net Power Output*2.0 hp (1.47 kW) @ 7,000 rpm
Net Torque1.6 lb-ft (2.2 Nm) @ 5,000 rpm
PTO Shaft RotationCounterclockwise (from PTO shaft side)
Compression Ratio8.0:1
CarburetorDiaphragm-type (overflow return)
Ignition SystemTransistorized magneto
Starting SystemRecoil
Lubrication SystemCrankcase pressure–driven
Governor SystemNA
Air CleanerDry Paper
Oil Capacity4.4 US oz (130cc)
FuelUnleaded 86 octane or higher
Fuel Tank Capacity0.67 U.S. qt (.63 liter)
Dry Weight9.1 lb (4.1 kg)
The tube is just a crank case vent from the valve cover. All it does is puts some of the waste oil in the intake. That's why if he removes it he should use a catch can. I have done this with a predator 212

GW, look at the specs where it says lubrication system.
The vent from the valve cover just goes into the I take, and get sucked back I to the engine, the vent is there to keep the pressure from building too high. If it put onto a catch can it will do the se thing. The only way there would be a problem is if you just let it dangle, then it will suck air through it and over pressurize. Catch cans have a check valve to keep this from happening, that's why I suggested it.

Back