Can you recommend a reliable powerful 4 stroke?

swbluto

Local time
2:34 AM
Hello, I'm thinking of a motorized bicycle for long distances such as on the highways and was wondering if anyone could recommend any reliable motors. See, if the thing breaks down when I'm 100 miles away from the closest civilization, I'd be basically screwed.:cry:

So, I'm looking for something that would be reliable. Also, I'm looking for something that could carry 350 pounds up a 8% hill at >20 mph. I haven't done the calculations yet but I think that'll require at least 3 kW at the wheel (or about 4 horse power). I plan on putting this on a pusher trailer for gearing and setup advantages, and I'll have a trailer anyways for my stuff.

I also want something quiet or "not so noticeable" because I basically want to keep it concealed from any inquiring cops, or at least minimize attraction. I plan on having an electric assist for short distances in town or other sensitive parts during the journey, but I need to make sure the cops half a mile ahead can't hear me. (And make sure the engine isn't visible at a glance)

Any recommendations?

I'm not that sensitive to price, as long as it has good value (i.e., excellent reliability).

I think GearNut gave real good advise.
Another guy mentioned he wanted to go to China on a bike pulling 400 pounds of gear and 2 dogs. I didn't say what I thought.
Why take a huge risk on the mechanical integrity of your machine in some remote place? When you don't have to.

"So, I'm looking for something that would be reliable. Also, I'm looking for something that could carry 350 pounds up a 8% hill at >20 mph."

You have to lower your expectations or get a medium size motorcycle to do that.

No 49cc MB engine has enough power to pull 350 lb up 8% grade at 20 MPH.

You'd need an engine with 5-6 HP or more + proper gearing, engines of this size are heavy and difficult to mount on a bicycle, also legality issue of a large engine comes into play.

If legality is of no concern to you, you can run a 5hp Honda thru a Q-Matic transmission and be really happy. It will be a very large powertrain though.
Sorta like making your own mini motorcycle.

If you want it all (again no legality issues) take that Honda 5hp (or 6.5) and slap a Comet CVT on it.

Also, keep in mind, since it's in a trailer, a smaller than usual wheel can be used. I'm thinking something like 10".

The advantage of that is that the required transmission gearing ratio would decrease: compared to a 26" wheel, it'd decrease by more than half. I think this might simplify the gearing requirements and might make a single speed possible with a "broad powerband" engine.

How do you guys think this would compare to using the motor to power a generator that'd recharge the batteries to power the electric motor? More costly? More efficient? I pretty much have no welding or part fabrication ability, but I'm pretty good with electronics.

Recommendation?

Look for something else to carry that much weight at those speeds and that grade of hill. If you have to go down that hill at any speed above a crawl, that trailer plus 350 pounds plus you plus that bicycle need way more braking power than what any bicycle designed for a 200 pound passenger can provide. If you had to emergency stop and locked both bicycle wheels, that trailer will run right over you after you fall down sideways and skid on the pavement.

I speak from experience from a long time ago. I lost a load of hay because that little farm tractor I was driving had no braking power on the hill and the wagon had no brakes. I was lucky I did not get killed. And there was no traffic around me.

Bicycles are not made to do as you dream. Motorcycles are not made to do as you dream. Get a cheap pickup truck and learn how to maintain it. Motorize your bicycle and enjoy it without a trailer. Do not connect any bicycle to a heavy trailer! That is simply asking to be injured for life. If you disregard my opinion, I hope the police do stop you for lack of regard for your own safety.

MikeJ

Let's talk legality -

I don't know of any state that allows engines of 50 cc or greater to be utilized on public roads unless that 2-wheel motorized vehicle is registered and licensed as a motorcycle, the rider is endorsed as a motorcycle rider after having obtained motorcycle insurance (if you can even obtain it), and the vehicle (bicycle) has a headlight, tail light, turn signals, and a horn.

To take a bicycle with an obvious over-sized engine to push it along out on the public road is just plain dumb and an invitation to a lot of legal trouble. Now, I will cut swbluto some slack because he is a newbie and probably has no inkling what his state laws are. He has a lot to learn. Welcome to this forum!

Be assured that in every state in which unlicensed vehicles (with very specific exceptions) are on public roads, the law enforcement officer is required to remove the vehicle from the road. That means impoundment with daily storage fees and a court date and fines. If you are two states away from home when this happens, you are just plain out of luck.

Now let's talk accident... If you are cause of an accident and are injured while riding an unregistered bicycle with an engine that requires vehicle registration as a motorcycle, don't expect any insurance company to come to your aid. They were not paid to accept risk for your dumb actions, and they have no obligation to pay out. If you are hurt, you pay your own ambulance and hospital bills.

SWbluto - Learn the laws of states and laws of physics. I encourage you dump your original idea (as good as you think that it is) and get a small maintainable pickup truck if you have to carry that much stuff around. Stay legal. And get insurance.

MikeJ

Let's talk legality -

I don't know of any state that allows engines of 50 cc or greater to be utilized on public roads unless that 2-wheel motorized vehicle is registered and licensed as a motorcycle, the rider is endorsed as a motorcycle rider after having obtained motorcycle insurance (if you can even obtain it), and the vehicle (bicycle) has a headlight, tail light, turn signals, and a horn.

To take a bicycle with an obvious over-sized engine to push it along out on the public road is just plain dumb and an invitation to a lot of legal trouble. Now, I will cut swbluto some slack because he is a newbie and probably has no inkling what his state laws are. He has a lot to learn. Welcome to this forum!

Be assured that in every state in which unlicensed vehicles (with very specific exceptions) are on public roads, the law enforcement officer is required to remove the vehicle from the road. That means impoundment with daily storage fees and a court date and fines. If you are two states away from home when this happens, you are just plain out of luck.

Now let's talk accident... If you are cause of an accident and are injured while riding an unregistered bicycle with an engine that requires vehicle registration as a motorcycle, don't expect any insurance company to come to your aid. They were not paid to accept risk for your dumb actions, and they have no obligation to pay out. If you are hurt, you pay your own ambulance and hospital bills.

SWbluto - Learn the laws of states and laws of physics. I encourage you dump your original idea (as good as you think that it is) and get a small maintainable pickup truck if you have to carry that much stuff around. Stay legal. And get insurance.

MikeJ

I'll use the bandwidth to quote this in entirety because it's such excellent advice.

Back