CDI Placement

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
5:12 PM
Does heat affect the CDI? If I mounted it here and cleaned up the wires away from hot stuff, would the heat from nearby components affect the performance of the CDI?

IMG_20211215_220532014.jpg

Mount your CDI away from the engine so it stays cool
My 4 stroke CDI has cooling fins on it, there's a reason for that.

I'm with the others, heat and electronics don't mix. I mount the cdi forward and above the engine to keep cooler air passing over it, if the plug wire is too long I cut it and add a ngk boot I buy from the local motorcycle shop.

Does heat affect the CDI? If I mounted it here and cleaned up the wires away from hot stuff, would the heat from nearby components affect the performance of the CDI?
Nein, Nein, Nein,...DAS IST VERBOTEN...lol...Heat and vibration at the motor mount point will kill your CDI...lol.

This is where the other Schwinn guy with a similar frame as yours put his, He also used zip ties to attach his CDI...It will hold better with the zip ties due to the shape of that frame tubing...A piece of thin rubber, like old innertube is not a bad idea underneath the CDI also...Mine is also attached with zip ties on my beach cruiser...I also sent you a PM on this as well...DAMIEN

20211215_154957.jpg

Nein, Nein, Nein,...DAS IST VERBOTEN...lol...Heat and vibration at the motor mount point will kill your CDI...lol.

This is where the other Schwinn guy with a similar frame as yours put his, He also used zip ties to attach his CDI...It will hold better with the zip ties due to the shape of that frame tubing...A piece of thin rubber, like old innertube is not a bad idea underneath the CDI also...Mine is also attached with zip ties on my beach cruiser...I also sent you a PM on this as well...DAMIEN

View attachment 162817
I may not know what direction to mount a fuel filter, but I’ve known for a long time that heat and dielectrics don’t mix!
🤪

Thanks guys. I understand where the normal place to put the CDI is. I'll figure something out. I REALLY don't have a lot of room. I don't recommend anyone using this frame.

It’s a challenge.
Are you using a jack shaft?

The chain stays and seat stays are molded close to the dropouts. I couldn’t see any way to use a wheel sprocket unless I ran power and return idlers.
Meh I wanted a shift kit anyway.

Thanks guys. I understand where the normal place to put the CDI is. I'll figure something out. I REALLY don't have a lot of room. I don't recommend anyone using this frame.
Can we get a bigger view of your bike, lol or did I miss the picture? You could always get a longer spark plug wire to locate the coil farther away from threat.

Back