Chain Tensioner Chain Tensioner / Silencer for Stretch Setups

speaking of chain...check the pitch on the bicycle chain we've been using...the pitch is slightly off & i'm sure that was contributing to the damage.

so, i'm loving the roller w/heater hose...really smooooth & silent, but i'm changing out the hose too frequently. i would still gladly install some for those special rides, it only takes a few minutes.

next test, thin pvc...i'm dubious:

Attachments

• Mvc-555f.jpg
    Mvc-555f.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 464
  • Mvc-558f.jpg
    Mvc-558f.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 472
the pvc didn't last a day. now everyone's asking me if the white dust is some kinda new chain-lube :rolleyes:

this time, i cut the new heater-hose rollers 1/8" too wide. as i tightened the bearings together, this sorta made a compressed surface that i hope will be a bit more durable. i'd like to make it at least 500 miles between changes.

in the 80's we were using universal automotive emissions kits to replace check-valves & air-tubes. i'm sure a few of you remember doing this on the first anti-pollution systems. anyway, the kits used a heat-resistant hose that was pale green in color & heavily reinforced. kinda pricey as i recall. came in 2 sizes...i'd sure like to find about a foot of the larger.

like a dawg with a bone...

this long chain-run is such a pain. i double-wall'd the heaterhose, and widened the whole deal with a spacer (nut). had to add the rear tensioner, a chain this long really stretches a lot.

Attachments

• Mvc-616f.jpg
    Mvc-616f.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Mvc-619f.jpg
    Mvc-619f.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 410
Augie, give me exact dimensions for copper or brass you want. I'll look around out in the yard. If I've got it, I could mail it to you. (I'm thinking brass would last longer)

:cool:Augie, have you tried kitchen "cutting board" material, such as wood or plastic. maple, beechwood or polyethylene?
i guess quite a few members have experimented with skateboard wheels, which have high-speed bearings and urethane tires.

How's the heater hose working? I built a simular idler for a trike but without the hose. You may have me running back to the hardware store.

Alaskavan...PM on the way.

5-7HEAVEN...there's a great selection of wheels where i shop. it's gonna cost $30 for a couple of the good ones, tho...

StreetPlanes...it starts to turn to mush at about 200 miles, but it remains safe for another 100. still not good enough for me.

i think some brass would be great. and then i'll go back to a hd spring loaded version. too cool.

I was thinking of trying nylon or perhaps urethane as both are sometimes used as bushings but brass will probabaly hold up for a pretty long while. I'm like you, all I want to do is change oil, oil the chain and ride. I enjoy building but I hate fixing. I've got 3 or 4 broke projects in the shop all the time and wish I could afford to throw them out.

But alas, if I can't fix 'em I'll use the parts on something else.

Back