clutch shaft bearing

P

psuggmog

While I have my bike apart, I decided to modify a few things I didn't like about my motor. From the first time I picked it up, I was bugged by the sloppy fit of the clutch release shaft in the housing. I decided to measure the differences between the two with a micrometer. There was a 0.0247 inch difference. I made a brass sleeve bearing to fill the gap. The shaft is much harder than the case. I figured that eventually it would wear an oval shaped hole in the case. I didn't want the bearing to rotate in the housing, so I made a notch in the bottom to index on the retaining pin in the housing. The case might be a poor casting so I didn't want an interference fit with the o.d. of the bearing. I pressed it in with a just slightly more than a sliding fit. Then a final reaming after installation. I made the bearing slightly longer than the case, so I could peen over the top of the bearing to form a slight flange on top of the housing. Here are pictures:

Thread Status: Hello , there has been no activity in this thread for more than 365 days. You can still reply to this thread but you might not get an answer. You are much better off creating a new thread to get more replies.