Clutch slipping problem

JeffHWV

Local time
9:06 AM
I got a really good deal on a 142f Kit at a local auction house which I believe is the generic Amazon kit and installed it on a Huffy Panama Jack cruiser. On the first ride, the clutch was slipping. I couldn’t take off from a stop on flat ground and the engine and bike never felt hooked up at any rpm. The throttle stop was removed, so I was getting full throttle. I drove it a couple miles and at least 1/8” was gone from the lining so I don’t think it was a spring extension issue. It was the 3 shoe clutch. I went ahead and bought a 4 shoe clutch with the spring and lining around the full circumference. It acted exactly the same except the lining had no wear on a similar length ride. The little engagement it does get seems to occur at the appropriate rpm. I weight around 300#, but I don’t think that is the issue as the engine rpm doesn’t bid down when under “load”, which I’d think it would if it was my weight. I took it back apart, scuffed the drum with sandpaper and cleaned the lining with brakeclean and that made no difference. The clutch has the light colored lining with a slightly scalloped texture. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

What did you do to remove the throttle stop? What part was removed? What kit do you have? Rear friction drive, In frame, and what transmission? Was the kit a return and being resold?

It had a small tab screwed to the carb that wouldn‘t let it go past 2/3 throttle. I just took it off. It came in a plain box with no documentation and very rudimentary directions poorly translated from Chinese. No writing on the engine cover either. The place I got it from sells mainly Amazon returns so I am assuming it came from there. I don’t think it was ever out of the box. I paid $85 for it. Chain reduction box driven by a centrifugal clutch bolted to the crankcase. 40 tooth rear sprocket and IIRC, 9 and 27 tooth sprockets in the box. Mounted In frame on a cast iron mount with sliding sheet metal bent into channel end, 4 6mm bolts in slotted holes through the side to tighten it. Is there a better clutch than the replacement I bought? Thanks.

It had a small tab screwed to the carb that wouldn‘t let it go past 2/3 throttle. I just took it off. It came in a plain box with no documentation and very rudimentary directions poorly translated from Chinese. No writing on the engine cover either. The place I got it from sells mainly Amazon returns so I am assuming it came from there. I don’t think it was ever out of the box. I paid $85 for it. Chain reduction box driven by a centrifugal clutch bolted to the crankcase. 40 tooth rear sprocket and IIRC, 9 and 27 tooth sprockets in the box. Mounted In frame on a cast iron mount with sliding sheet metal bent into channel end, 4 6mm bolts in slotted holes through the side to tighten it. Is there a better clutch than the replacement I bought? Thanks.
Whatn8s the sprocket size coming off the gear box to the 40 tooth?

It's sometimes difficult to find the solution, I've seen a few videos on various fixes that could help online, I could'nt hazard a guess at the moment. Have to look into it.

It's sometimes difficult to find the solution, I've seen a few videos on various fixes that could help online, I could'nt hazard a guess at the moment. Have to look into it.
Check the gear ratio. If your ratio is to high it will smoke the clutch. I had this issue when gearing my go kart

Back