Field repair stories

Captain Rainmaker

Local time
10:28 PM
We've all had those times when a routine ride turned disastrous after something essential broke or stopped working. But some of us also have had times when the day was saved by an ingenious cobbled-together in-the-field repair job. This thread is for those stories.

I was out riding along a country road when the hose clamp holding my expansion pipe on decided to snap. A ways further down, I came across a broken guardrail covered in pink safety streamer. So I helped myself.

KIMG0051.JPG

It held up all the way home.

Field repair story,
I got a flat front tire, I had an extra tube but I missed some shrapnel in the tire and my new tube went flat - Rookie Mistake :oops:.
I didn't have my phone to call for rescue or a tire repair kit and I was 20 miles out in the middle of no where. I was thinking it was gonna be a long walk. But I saw some cardboard along the side of the road. I rolled up the cardboard and stuffed it in my front tire. After about 1/2 hour of cramming rolled cardboard in my front tire I finally made the tire hard enough to ride. I rode home at about 15-20 mph. I made it. Now I carry 2 extra inner tubes with me when I ride :LOL:

Last edited:
Back