Float Question BoFeng Carburator

Joast

Local time
2:27 AM
The Float in my Bofeng carburator is flat on one end and has a circular elevated 'lip' thing on the other end.
Which end goes to the top? I have it in lip side up (toward the forks and needle) with the flat end toward the bowl bottom.
Is this correct or is it in upside down? Does it affect how the carb operates?. Thanks

Lip side down. I just opened a brand new Bofeng this morning. No idea if it makes any difference.
I flipped the float over the right way and the bike ran the same as before-- as best I could tell. But now the float bowl overflows, and it never has done that. Before the elevated lip just set in between the forks; now the forks contact the flat side.

Everyone is talking about the JRL BoFeng carb. From all the pics I have seen on this forum and elsewhere, it is the same carb that came with my 100cc engine kit but my carb has the red air filter cover. Even taking the bowl off, same float too.
I find I get the “4stroking” alot at full throttle until it warms up then not so much.
I’m running the 100cc that has the single piece head and jug together along with my stock pipe being gutted and welded back together. The motor is pushing a 26” Kent Bayside bike with a heavy duty lace rear wheel from the Huffy Nel Lusso bike of mine that was stolen. I also run a 36 tooth rear sprocket. At last GPS speed check, I was hitting 34 mph. I also weigh 145 lbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 66
I get some 4 stroking--(more so when cold) with the Bofeng carb that I had in this thread and also with a new Bofeng replacement.
My top speed on a Schwinn Riverside cruiser with 44 tooth rear sprocket is 30mph on GPS. It has an aftermarket Pipe.
My Bike takes some time to warm up--maybe 10 minutes. Not sure how much 4-stroking is "normal".

4 stroking while under low load situations is acceptable and normal (cruising on flat ground at half throttle, for example). You should notice that cracking the throttle open and accelerating will clear it up, or going up a hill. 4 stroking while at wide open isn't good, imo. 4 stroking causes increased cylinder pressure and is probably hard on the internal components of the engine. It's fine while under low load, but at high load it might increase wear and stress. Now that being said I don't think anyone has blown up their engine because of it but I wouldn't pin my bike wide open while 4 stroking. All you have to do is lower your main jet size maybe 2-4 numbers depending on how rich you are (which is what causes 4 stroking). Also 4 stroking more when cold is totally normal. However I would strongly suggest making sure your engine is warmed up before putting it under a high load situation (this is a universal rule for all engines).

Lip side down. I just opened a brand new Bofeng this morning. No idea if it makes any difference.
Yeah if you notice you'll see that the 2 lil arms that hold up the float bowl each fit in the lil grove that go around the float bowl.

Back