Got it assembled, it sputtered, ran for a few seconds then died

Thatdarncat

Local time
2:24 AM
Hi Folks
When I got it assembled, it ran for a few seconds then died completely will not even catch once or twice.
All my torque seals, head, manifold and exhaust seem to be good.
I check for spark or fouled plug...plug looked good, spark was intermittent....hummm so I take off the coil cover, and one side of the coil was in contact with the magnet.
So I try to get it more even and cant because the holes are not in align to do so, so at the the moment Im using only two screw to hold it in place so as to get a more even spacing with the magnet.....still wont run. ( maybe at a latter point I can open the holes on the coil a little larger to get it more even around the magnet.)
I unplugged the kill switch and taped up the ends so as not to create a short, still wont start.
The NT carbuerator came with the oring inside and I have it shoved up against the manifold pretty tight...still wont start
I have not checked the ohms but will do so
Any ideas on this one?

I have since checked the ohms on the coil and it is 310, supposedly in a good range. I also took off the magnet to make sure it was reversed and it seems to be ok too, sitting at 1 oclock position.
Now, no spark I hooked a meter to the coil and got a reading of 10 volts when I rolled the bike with the spark plug out, how ever when I hook it up to the cdi Im not getting a spark from the plug, when grounded to the head.
Does anyone know of a way to confirm if a CDI is good or bad?

Hi Folks
When I got it assembled, it ran for a few seconds then died completely will not even catch once or twice.
All my torque seals, head, manifold and exhaust seem to be good.
I check for spark or fouled plug...plug looked good, spark was intermittent....hummm so I take off the coil cover, and one side of the coil was in contact with the magnet.
So I try to get it more even and cant because the holes are not in align to do so, so at the the moment Im using only two screw to hold it in place so as to get a more even spacing with the magnet.....still wont run. ( maybe at a latter point I can open the holes on the coil a little larger to get it more even around the magnet.)
I unplugged the kill switch and taped up the ends so as not to create a short, still wont start.
The NT carbuerator came with the oring inside and I have it shoved up against the manifold pretty tight...still wont start
I have not checked the ohms but will do so
Any ideas on this one?

I have since checked the ohms on the coil and it is 310, supposedly in a good range. I also took off the magnet to make sure it was reversed and it seems to be ok too, sitting at 1 oclock position.
Now, no spark I hooked a meter to the coil and got a reading of 10 volts when I rolled the bike with the spark plug out, how ever when I hook it up to the cdi Im not getting a spark from the plug, when grounded to the head.
Does anyone know of a way to confirm if a CDI is good or bad?
Try a new ngk spark plug. If you havent replaced the spark plug that came in the kit, I would start by replacing plug, my plug was bad that came in my kit.

I will try that, I just checked the CDI, it appears to be good too...I will run up the road and get one now!
Thanks!
Let us know how it works out. Btw we like pictures alot on this here forum. So feel free to post away. I believe you want a 6 or 7 on your spark plug heat range. It's like a NGK-B6HS & set spark plug gap to .025"

Diesel Tech,
Thank you, that was it!!!! I couldnt get a NGK-B6HS, all the automotive places said they could get one in a day or two, but one place had a NGK- BL9
( if not mistaken on the numbers and letters). I did try it and it produced some spark when grounded to the head. I hope this plug will be ok??
I did get it to run, it cut off a few times when I let off the throttle, So I messed with the idle adjustment screw ( or so I think it is) on the NT carb and got it to idle.
Right now it seems kinda anemic...Im running 16-1 mix for break in, and will probably play with the carb some more to see if it will pep it up.
I drilled a bunch of holes in the plastic air cleaner cover to help it breath more.

Funny thing about that kung fu spark plug, it was giving me ohm readings everywhere, unlike a good plug which should only give me a ohm reading from the cap end to the probe tip.
Yes I need to get a picture of how bad the coil bolt holes are out of location in regards to the magnet, right now I can only get two screws back into the coil and maintain some decent gap around the magnet... and that is after enlarging the holes in the coil probably .050-.060 larger!

Anything that fits a V-dub will work... If the parts store has to look something up...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220326-143416.png
    Screenshot_20220326-143416.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20220326-143328.png
    Screenshot_20220326-143328.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20220326-143243.png
    Screenshot_20220326-143243.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 136
Diesel Tech,
Thank you, that was it!!!! I couldnt get a NGK-B6HS, all the automotive places said they could get one in a day or two, but one place had a NGK- BL9
( if not mistaken on the numbers and letters). I did try it and it produced some spark when grounded to the head. I hope this plug will be ok??
I did get it to run, it cut off a few times when I let off the throttle, So I messed with the idle adjustment screw ( or so I think it is) on the NT carb and got it to idle.
Right now it seems kinda anemic...Im running 16-1 mix for break in, and will probably play with the carb some more to see if it will pep it up.
I drilled a bunch of holes in the plastic air cleaner cover to help it breath more.

Funny thing about that kung fu spark plug, it was giving me ohm readings everywhere, unlike a good plug which should only give me a ohm reading from the cap end to the probe tip.
Yes I need to get a picture of how bad the coil bolt holes are out of location in regards to the magnet, right now I can only get two screws back into the coil and maintain some decent gap around the magnet... and that is after enlarging the holes in the coil probably .050-.060 larger!
You should have asked them to cross reference it to a Champ or Autolite or whatever they sell to get the proper heat range.

I did ask them for a suitable cross reference at the time but didnt know about the heat range ...lol I'm learning as i go here. I will order a couple or 3 or 4 plugs.

Back