HD happy time

unraw

Local time
1:43 PM
Grunthal Manitoba Canada Northamerica Earth Univer
For my winter project i want to totally rebuild my old faithful pk 80cc. It has over 2000kms. I want to replace the crankshaft bearings, wristpin bearings, and piston rings good quality non Chinese stuff. I also want to do some mild porting and compression mods. So, I'm gonna need some help here. Does any one know of any high quality replacements for the rings, crankshaft bearings, wristpin bearings, etc. Suggestions welcome for what else i could do to it to make it more heavy duty/ faster.

I disassembled it and was shocked to find out that it had a needle bearing top end. I had always thought it was a bushing. There is some up and down play in the wrist bearing. The rings look not too bad. The cylinder walls look pretty scratched up. The piston looked like there was some overheating .i'm thinking thats from not using a muffler. To those of you who have changed the rings on your engines, at how many miles / kilometers did you do it at?

I put the cylinder back on without the base gasket to find out if the piston would touch the head. I put the head back on to see if i could notice a difference in compression when i cranked it. The piston didnt touch the head, but it might still when it heats up. Once i cranked it, I found out that it has no compression! (yes the spark plug was in) Is this from the lack of nothing sealing it between the crankcase and the cylinder?

Do you guys think that the crankcase bearings that are in there would handle the compression mods? I'm tempted to just rebuild the top end and do porting and mabe compression mods.

Last edited:
If you are have it apart then goto the stihl dealership and order a needle bearing for the top of the rod out of an 028. Havent put mine in yet but i shaved 0.050 thou off the head and trued the crank with better crank bearings. I run 5500 rpm all the time and have 2800 kms and it still goes strong fwiw. Do a compression test and see what the compression is.

No specific year just tell em the number and they will know. Cost me 12 bucks and good for 13,000 rpm. If I remember correctly the bearings are 6202 but you will find out for sure when you pull it apart. As far as the bearing name I believe it was NSK but it doesn't really matter the bearing is common just go to a bearing supply place and they will sell a decent bearing. I trued the crank myself(ex motorcycle mechanic turned machinist) as best as possible, the two crank halves still wobble slightly but that is do to the pin bores in the crank halves not being perfectly perpendicular but the bosses run good on their axis. The bearing on one side of the crank had 0.005 thou play on the crankshaft so I ended up using high temp bearing locker.

Gru Bee expansion chamber dimensions

I would like to build an expansion chamber for my 70cc. Gru Bee. Do any of you have a set of dimensions for one including header length/diam. and stinger also? That is what a bored mind does to one. KW:unsure:

I will have to pull my bearings out of there and bring them to a bearing supply place to get other ones. I've heard of increasing you compression by sanding down your head with a piece of sandpaper on a sheet of glass. Has anyone done it this way? Can you give me a detailed description of how you did it? I don't have any milling tools or anything and our local machine shop charges around $75 and hour so that would not be very cheap.

I lapped 12 thou off the head to get rid of the small spigot on my head. I also made a thinner head gasket out of copper sheet, heated it cherry red after to sofften it and bolted it on. I took 0.05 thou off in total. Make sure you have adequate piston to head and piston to sparkplug clearance. I had to slightly grind a small bevel on the outside of the chamber for safety and it also produces what is called a squishband which forces the air fuel mixture in a concentrated package which helps with the burn and can produce more torque as a result.

I bought at the metasl supermarket which cateres to small volumes and hobbyists. Ended up getting it free as it was a small piece. Yes there are different thicknesses, I ended up using 0.019 thou but it was supposed to be 0.032thou. The stock headgasket was 0.057 thou so that is 0.038 thou less right there and the remainer was removed off the head. I must say it has alot more torque and revs well.

Back