Homemade Clutch Cam

Timbone

Local time
3:25 AM
Thought I would post a pic of my homemade clutch cam made from a 3/8" Grade 8 bolt. The actuator arm is about 3/4" longer than the stock length, so there is much more leverage. Performance is much improved. clutch1.jpg

Spiffy.
Take that silly return spring out though, all it does it make the clutch lever harder to pull.

This thing is smooth as butter. No resistance. The increased leverage means more turn with less pull.

There is a groove on the cam that keeps it level, so there is no binding whatsoever. I'll remove the sprocket cover sometime this week and see how the cam is wearing as it works the bucking bar. I lubed it nicely.

Ideally, you'd want to make the cam out of a left hand threaded Grade 8 bolt, but they are hard to find and EXPENSIVE on the internet. You wouldn't even need a locknut.

The cam and the arm are two different things, so you just made the arm then? The cam is the part that goes through the housing and actually works the bucking bar. The arm is the part that turns the cam.

I made the cam and the arm. The cam ws made from the grade 8 bolt. That actuator arm is considerably longer than the stock clutch actuator - almost an inch. It's simple 1/4"-20 eyebolt. With my Dremel tool, I notched out 6 slots iside the eye of the eyebolt to match up with the 6 corners of the nut, and very carefully ground down the flat parts in between. Leaving things too tight, I hammered the nut into the eye and it is locked in. No way that is gonna move.

The nut threads down onto the bolt/cam as far as possible and you can see it is locked in with another grade 8 nut. Both nuts are frozen with Red locktite - so no way they are moving. Used the dremel to drill out a hole in the bolt just big enough to fir the clutch cable through.

To me, this is a big part of what makes motorbiking fun. Little improvements go a long way!

Back