How do I align the magneto?

aquielisunari

Local time
5:41 PM
I didn't see this exact question with the search function. I just spent another $350 on my bike and will be replacing the NT carb with a TC-Motor Racing Carb, spark plug, CDI, magneto and a new front fork. I would like to make sure I install that magneto the right way. To be clear the magnet piece(what is that called?) is still in place but I have other engines where it isn't. I also got a new tool set to be sure I'll have the right tools for the job.

Are these really boats in disguise?

The carb comes with 5 extra jets so if you have experience with those your advice will be appreciated.

I just saw this which says the one o'clock position. Is there a way to ensure the piston is in the right position when the magneto's key slot is at the 1 o'clock position.

Last edited:
The key way should be approx at 1 o'clock, the piston will be at top dead center.
There's no set standard for what jet you'll need. 70 is usually a stock jet. Higher number is a richer jet, smaller is leaner. I usually bring some jets and the screwdriver I need to change it on my test run. If its 4 stroking at WOT go leaner on the jet.

Seeing you brought up spark plugs, I pulled the head off my new engine and this is the difference. First image, China plug. Second image, NGK B6HS

Attachments

• tceh1.jpg
    tceh1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 272
  • tceh2.jpg
    tceh2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 398
I didn't tighten them all the way, just showing how much more the NGK filled the chamber.

1:pm
Actually nothing you can really do but throw it on anywhere cuz it has the shaft that pins it in place unless you disturb that setting.

Back