Increase compression on 1 piece jug

Jug

Local time
12:10 AM
Is there any way to increase compression on a 1 piece jug?

Milling the bottom of the jug or the top of the case would be the only way to get anything measurable. Top of case would be easier since its flat with nothing to go around - could use either an end mill with a drill press and slide vice, or with the right mounting plate and a guide to keep it straight even a belt sander could do it (but if you're not careful it will be uneven and not seal, basically ruining your case).

Thinner base gasket would add a tiny bit of CR but not much.

Using a bench top belt sander is OK. Just use fresh 120 grit sanding belts and turn the piece you working on from front to back and don't over heat the metal too much by cooling it off in a shallow pan of water on each turn. Finish on belt sander with 220 grit.
After using a belt sander Use a piece of plate glass with sand paper on it. Rub work piece on it and you'll make it completely flat. I've done it to the case, Cyl decks. cyl heads and other parts that need to be trued up flat. Start with 120 and finish with 220
A good sand paper to use on the plate glass are those 10" or 12" stick on sanding disc pieces. Some say the glue on the back of the sandpaper makes it uneven But I've never noticed. No problems with it here and I've done it a lot

Last edited:
Ok so i made a gasket out of sandpaper, waaaay thinner than the original base gasket and seals better.

I would trim my jug down but that would adjust the port timing alot instead of a tiny gasket change.

Milling the bottom of the jug or the top of the case would be the only way to get anything measurable. Top of case would be easier since its flat with nothing to go around - could use either an end mill with a drill press and slide vice, or with the right mounting plate and a guide to keep it straight even a belt sander could do it (but if you're not careful it will be uneven and not seal, basically ruining your case).

Thinner base gasket would add a tiny bit of CR but not much.
I was just wondering, How would one be able to measure the squish on a one piece Jug?

Plastic gauge.

Yea I was wondering If ya all used that putty blue stuff or a plasti gauge.
I've used the putty blue stuff to check 4 stroke flathead valve lift height. After it squishes ya take it out cut it in half and measure the thickness. This gives ya the clearance from valve to head.
Plasti gauge I've used to check Automotive main bearing specs. It comes in thin plastic strip Ya put it in between the crank and main bearing and torque it down. After it squishes ya take it out and hold it up to a chart and match how wide the plasti gauge spread and the chart tells ya the clearance.
You called it Plastic gauge I assume it's like the putty blue stuff?

Back