Is it normal..?

markjs

Local time
8:20 AM
For the back of my cylinder to have oil on it? I have no symptoms of gasket leakage, no lean condition, but the back of the cylinder has a good coat of oily residue?

My theory is it's just spit back from the carb bouncing from the air cleaner cover back on to the base of the cylinder...

Yeah, a picture is worth a thousand words, especially in this instance.

It is possible carb blow-back is being caught in a vortex of slow air behind the cylinder, but you are talking a portion of a small amount of fine mist. It would take a bit to build up.

Attachments

• 20231005_143743.jpg
    20231005_143743.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 45
Everything seems to be running fine. I never need choke, even though it has cooled a lot since summer. I do find it a lot harder to start when cold. Choke doesn't help, but a couple of blasts on the "tickler" button helps it start...

Is it normal for the first bit of running, just after it catches, to have no power at all? It's odd but since the weather got cold, it often starts, but feels like it has just enough to keep the engine rolling over, no power at all until it's run a few seconds, then it picks up and acts normal. Is that a normal thing?

Back