Joining the Dark side.

Finally got to really get out and ride for once. Nice 2 hour stint with a mix of minimal assist and pure lazy throttle only when my legs got too tired lol.

20240414_183053.jpg

20240414_183111.jpg

The brakes are PHENOMENAL. I just wanted to really emphasize that fact. Worth the headache of fighting the rear. The pads I used have great bite and a nice linear feel to the braking power, and they stop all of my mass and the bike very quickly. I now have complete confidence in my brakes. I cannot recommend the Zoom 4 piston hydraulic brakes enough, other than the pads they come with at least.

I am now used to the seat and how it feels. Robe is right, it just felt wrong at first, but now I know it's normal, and between the seat post suspension and this seat I don't feel a thing, which my lower back loves.

Finally got to really get out and ride for once. Nice 2 hour stint with a mix of minimal assist and pure lazy throttle only when my legs got too tired lol.

View attachment 211733
View attachment 211735

The brakes are PHENOMENAL. I just wanted to really emphasize that fact. Worth the headache of fighting the rear. The pads I used have great bite and a nice linear feel to the braking power, and they stop all of my mass and the bike very quickly. I now have complete confidence in my brakes. I cannot recommend the Zoom 4 piston hydraulic brakes enough, other than the pads they come with at least.

I am now used to the seat and how it feels. Robe is right, it just felt wrong at first, but now I know it's normal, and between the seat post suspension and this seat I don't feel a thing, which my lower back loves.
Hey there ImpulseRocket, what mirrors are them? Are them by chance the RockBros brand?

Thanks. Btw your bike looks good & glad you got a nice peaceful ride. I got a few miles in myself today.

May as well share some knick-nack stuff too since it is bike related. I ran across these velcro strap carabiner on Aliexpress and ordered half a dozen. 2 in black because they had a deal going and it was 98 cents for both. The other 4 for regular price, which was still less than 2 dollars a piece. They looked like they could be handy, so I figured why not? I might keep a couple on all of my bikes.
20240414_180931.jpg

20240414_193559.jpg

The other purchase was a "Fire Bag" just for extra precaution and safety. I trust the quality of my bikes battery, but I also believe in being prepared for anything. Link : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C4D2S7LN?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

20240414_180730.jpg

On each end it has holes to open for ventilation and to allow the charge plug inside.

20240414_180754.jpg

20240414_193947.jpg

I keep it near my back door while charging anyway, but this gives me the added protection of a little extra time and safety to get it out the door if the worst case scenario does occur. I can grab it by straps and not have to try and grab the battery itself.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I finally did it. I finally decided to enter the world of ebikes. Initially, I was going to build my own, and even put in an order for that $98 Kent bayside from Walmart to try and do a budget build. After pricing out everything on said build for a 48V 1500W rear hub conversion, battery, etc. the price ended up being right around $1000 because a few upgrades I wanted specifically bumped the price up a touch - mainly converting to disc brakes and a front wheel and fork set to do so easily.

Then, just out of curiosity I checked in on the prebuilt ebike I have had my eye on for a while, the Heybike Explore, and lo and behold they are having a sale for early spring! A Clearance sale of 700 off on that bike put the price down to $1,199 with a free rear basket. With a discount code (BFG100) for $100 off that made it $1.099., so I also bought a set of their saddle bags for it for 79. With free shipping to boot.

I ordered mine in Military Green.

I honestly can't wait for it to arrive. I haven't been this excited about something in a while. I know I could have built something more powerful or with a bigger battery than the Explore with the Kent, but I think this is a smarter way to get into the world of ebikes, and the price is about the same with way less work on my part.

Edit: A list of Parts Links:

Zoom HB-876E Hydraulic brake set.
Bucklos 2 piece Rotors with Adapters (203mm front, 180mm rear)
Hydraulic Brake Bleed kit with mineral oil.
5 1/2" Steering Stem Riser Gave approximately a 3 inch bar lift
Aluminum 3 bearing pedals with reflectors. These are pretty darn nice for the money!
Tannus Armor inserts with Tubes.
YLG Oversized noseless Seat for my large rear end. Waiting for delivery
Strap to Frame Bicycle Bag/Phone holder. Service as a tool kit bag.
Replacement Semi-metallic ceramic brake pads. (backups or replacement if I can't stop squeal)
Spare Brake pad cotter pins.
Bar end mirrors - These mirrors are excellent, probably some of the best ones I have bought.
Get the Heybike. There were just the two of us when I went E. The other guy has been riding a heybike cargo for
nearly 10 yrs. I paid $2700 for a Juiced that disintegrated in 3. My Moscow,( German bike meant for export to
Russia), was $1099. Still getting even better after 7000 mi. Basically an 80s mtn bike. with an exceptionally good
Kraut 500w motor. Solid, durable, forgiving bike, triple crank, uses common place affordable parts. Downside.
they're not making it anymore, & used can be an iffy proposition. Heybike's been around for quite a while &
seem to hold up well. Like any bike though, one needs to stay on top of maintenance. As for my gasser, I wasn't
as into speed as much mileage. Still love my old heavy Giant Mb with a modified G.E.B.E. kit, & a 39cc Tanaka 4210
Purefire. Cleanest no smoke, 2 stroke ever made. Hadn't ridden it in a long time. Just gave it a new plug,
filter, & gear. I primed, choked, Fired right off without a bit of smoke. It'll still gets 200 mpg @ 3500 rpm &
will do 36 mph @ 9500 rpm. I really love both bikes. I have a solar charging trailer for the ebike, but the gasser
is still best for long range touring in a reasonable time frame

P.S, you can't find or buy either that tanaka or the G.E.B,E, kit for love nor money anymore, The Tanaka came
with a 7 year warranty. G.E.B.E. died when the owning couple died intestate. I have 2 of each, hardly broken in,
Tanakas with a C.A.R.B. very clean 300 hour certificate.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back