KX60 engine

mangosmoothie

Local time
10:55 PM
I got tired of being tedious with the stage 2 zeda. It just wasn't running right regardless of what I did. I sent it back to Zeda for him to mess with it.

In the mean time, I put this together. The entire KX60 cost me what a 8 horse race motor would have. The KX ran but needs a new clutch (discs are sticking together I believe) and the carb needed cleaned. I cleaned the carb and now it runs like a beast.

Transplanted the engine.

0yCbLjp.jpg

36HHnCI.jpg

Engine fits in the frame fine. It's really not that heavy. The issue I have is aligning the chain. The KX engine needs to be pretty far to one side for the chain to line up. I got it the best I could. The chain isn't binding or slipping, but it isn't as straight as I'd like. Only other solution I can think of is rigging a jackshaft.

Let me tell you...... this thing is FAST for what it is. A stock KX makes 14 hp or so. I'm running it without an expansion chamber at the moment, so not sure what it makes. Once I get the exhaust to fit with a proper expansion chamber it's going to be nuts. The only immediate problem now is the clutch, and I need wider cranks which are on the way.

These aren't the most recent pics, just ones I have laying around from engine mock up.

So is the frame going to snap? are the wheel bearings going to cook? Is the rear axle going to snap?

Very good questions. Time will tell.

My guesses:

Vibration will break the frame at the weakest point(s). If there's a pedestal mount that isn't augmented, it breaks first. A lot of miles and one of the AL tubes will crack.

If the bearings are set properly and greased right, they'll be fine. But you'll never be able to trust the rear axle.

You need not worry about broken spokes, though!

Looks great!

I got tired of being tedious with the stage 2 zeda. It just wasn't running right regardless of what I did. I sent it back to Zeda for him to mess with it.

In the mean time, I put this together. The entire KX60 cost me what a 8 horse race motor would have. The KX ran but needs a new clutch (discs are sticking together I believe) and the carb needed cleaned. I cleaned the carb and now it runs like a beast.

Transplanted the engine.

0yCbLjp.jpg

36HHnCI.jpg

Engine fits in the frame fine. It's really not that heavy. The issue I have is aligning the chain. The KX engine needs to be pretty far to one side for the chain to line up. I got it the best I could. The chain isn't binding or slipping, but it isn't as straight as I'd like. Only other solution I can think of is rigging a jackshaft.

Let me tell you...... this thing is FAST for what it is. A stock KX makes 14 hp or so. I'm running it without an expansion chamber at the moment, so not sure what it makes. Once I get the exhaust to fit with a proper expansion chamber it's going to be nuts. The only immediate problem now is the clutch, and I need wider cranks which are on the way.

These aren't the most recent pics, just ones I have laying around from engine mock up.

So is the frame going to snap? are the wheel bearings going to cook? Is the rear axle going to snap?

Very good questions. Time will tell.
That's pretty cool! Just in looking at the pic's you have alot of room to play with the rear gear spacing to get the chain line right.Good luck be safe!

I was able to get the stock exhaust fitted. Took it for a rip and this thing is faaaaaaaast once it comes on the pipe. I was not expecting how hard it pulled. I was like wow this has some powERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MY GOD. It's legit hard to hold on. It power wheelied in 3rd or 4th gear. I need a seat with a back on it. And better brakes. this chinese disc ain't doing it. I've been out of the mtb scene for a while but BB7's used to be the shiz for mech discs.

I'll try to figure out if I can get the pedestal reinforced. I have no idea what kind of aluminum this frame is. I'd like traingles in all parts of the frame and on all sides of the pedestal. And some more legit motor mounts instead of bolting to 1.25 and 1.5" muffler clamps.

This is just a fun toy/project for me for running around the city (I live downtown St. Louis).

I know motorized bike racing is a thing. Can I race this? Is that legal?

Oh and the important part - 100% sure this will put a train on my dads honda metropolitan.

8URY6K2.jpg

here's the most recent chain line pic. Still off, but works. I guess.

VmLpFO4.jpg

engine offset to the right pretty far

Fw3WlgG.jpg

I was able to get the stock exhaust fitted. Took it for a rip and this thing is faaaaaaaast once it comes on the pipe. I was not expecting how hard it pulled. I was like wow this has some powERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MY GOD. It's legit hard to hold on. It power wheelied in 3rd or 4th gear. I need a seat with a back on it. And better brakes. this chinese disc ain't doing it. I've been out of the mtb scene for a while but BB7's used to be the shiz for mech discs.

I'll try to figure out if I can get the pedestal reinforced. I have no idea what kind of aluminum this frame is. I'd like traingles in all parts of the frame and on all sides of the pedestal. And some more legit motor mounts instead of bolting to 1.25 and 1.5" muffler clamps.

This is just a fun toy/project for me for running around the city (I live downtown St. Louis).

I know motorized bike racing is a thing. Can I race this? Is that legal?

Oh and the important part - 100% sure this will put a train on my dads honda metropolitan.

8URY6K2.jpg

here's the most recent chain line pic. Still off, but works. I guess.

VmLpFO4.jpg

engine offset to the right pretty far

Fw3WlgG.jpg
Looks like the rear sprocket could be moved outward and give an almost perfect line Be careful on that I'm sure it will want to leap out from under you lol.

Yeah I could lathe out the id of the sprocket and put it on the left side of the disc adapter. Right now the id is too small so slip over the adapter hub. But.... the chain is also getting verrrrry close to the frame on the bottom.

still a lot of kinks to sort out but I'm really enjoying building this and tinkering. I've learned a lot and it's a nice break from the stress of 5th year of pharmacy school.

Yeah I could lathe out the id of the sprocket and put it on the left side of the disc adapter. Right now the id is too small so slip over the adapter hub. But.... the chain is also getting verrrrry close to the frame on the bottom.

still a lot of kinks to sort out but I'm really enjoying building this and tinkering. I've learned a lot and it's a nice break from the stress of 5th year of pharmacy school.
Still pretty sweet,great work what's next?LOL

Back