LoBoy Fat Tire Chopper

Been a while since I've posted. I've been busy building electric bikes for the past few years. This one will have a motor, so I decided to come to the place where bicycle motor heads hang out. :bowdown: I'm researching 4 strokes and I haven't came to a decision yet on the set up. I have plenty of room so it will be easy to adapt.

I took it on it's first roll and it is perfectly straight and smooth. I have a single sided rear axle set up to show off the insane rear tire. It's my first try at a single sided axle so I had to figure in a lot of math and calculations to get it perfectly balanced.

First Roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lctcd0rkW8g

Zero Steering Flop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alQKmadQsgc

comparetites.jpg

axle11.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/grauchosbikes/motored bike/axle11.jpg

user3358_pic8913_1301959930.jpg

frontfork3.jpg

rearB.jpg

side_profile4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again the loboy was rolled off of the bench to stretch her legs. The electrical system isn't hooked up yet so it was "pedal like a mad man". Also the batteries and batt covers are not on. It was fun to see it out in the natural daylight. As you will see there is still 24 inches of snow here, so I have time to get the wiring done waiting for spring.

This bike is extremely well balanced with the single sided axle. it leans to the left standing alone, but place your body weight upon its wide seat pan and the bike stands straight and true. Getting it outside I couldn't resist going a little crazy with the camera.

DSC04989.jpg

DSC04992.jpg

DSC04993.jpg

DSC05001.jpg

DSC05004.jpg

DSC04991.jpg

DSC05012.jpg

DSC05018.jpg

DSC05019.jpg

DSC05022.jpg

All of the twists an turn this took form the beginning to now.
Yes, thats how I enjoy building the most. If you start with a blank canvas, then a drawing, combined with tack welding, and patience anything is possible. It's easy easy easy to "cut a tack" weld so why not fab a total custom till your hearts is content with your build.

Everyone here loves to look at photo's. I like the before and after shots. Here are a few that I paired up.

bikefrontwheelA.jpg

bikefrontwheelB.jpg

bikefrontwheelC.jpg

bikefrontwheelD.jpg

bikefrontwheelE.jpg

bikefrontwheelF.jpg

bikefrontwheelG.jpg

bikefrontwheelH.jpg

bikefrontwheelI.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I took the bike to the minnesota bike builders meeting with the "best of the best" bike builders in the state. Customs, road bikes, velos, recumbents etc...... At the meeting I got a pat on the back from many builders that have been building for 40 years. Wow did that make me feel like the extra time on this bike was worth it. Holy cr@p these guys know their stuff. They were all picking my brain for new engineering ideas. Wow! this night was a dream come true. Whoooa... my forehead was beading up. I guess studying/analyzing 28,000 images from my "other bikes" album finally payed off.

The electric system really cranks for a 144~lb bike. 35 mph on the flats. The balance of this single sided axle bike is... well, un flipping real~! I was riding it today no handed. When my grandson and I go out for a ride i'll take a video of it in motion.

Sorry for patt'in myself on the back. Just a little wired, everyone else went to bed LOL

Congrats on getting the job done, Graucho. You've inspried me to finish my Stiletto chopper for our Spirit of Christmas parade. Since your build juices are all pumped up, where are you heading next?

Congrats on getting the job done, Graucho. You've inspried me to finish my Stiletto chopper for our Spirit of Christmas parade. Since your build juices are all pumped up, where are you heading next?

Thanks Scootmeister!

Update and additions to the bike.
I have approx 850 miles on the south of the border electric and its still riding like a dream.
My only complaint is that it takes 5 hrs to recharge, and the batteries will only take 83% charge rate
when recharging. I borrowed 3 different 48v chargers and tried them with no difference.

Being like I am, That doesn't cut it in my book. I stared at it for a while and came up with a inexpensive
solution. I figured out a way to break the four separate batteries (that are normally in a series to make them 48 volts}
with 3 -30 amp breakers. Then I added 4 sets of posts to charge each individual battery with its own 12 volt charger.
Now the batteries charge in 3 hrs with a 95% full capacity. Total cost for the (4) 2 amp chargers = $52.00 then I sold my
48 volt charger for $35.00. Making my total cost $17.00 Now I can squeak another 4 miles out of my rides with
nearly 1/2 less the charging time.

I know this thread hasn't been commented on since august 2013. but I really wanted to say I am completely amazed by this build. seriously I bow down! your south of the border bike is gorgeous beyond anything I can ever imagine building. I have looked at/studied all the pictures (many times) and i still cant wrap my head around it all from the graphics ,seat ,bars ,forks and clean welds it just incredible. I wish I could see it in person to fully understand and appreciate everything. i know it would'nt be anything near what you have done here but i hope to use this thread and your pictures to do at least half of nice of a single sided frame rear. thank you for sharing this build it has really inspired me to try and make my own custom frame.

Back